PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 02-21-2014, 07:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
Thank you so much, Steve. I'll download GIMP and try it out. I don't really understand the difference between vector and raster, but I do understand one works with Inkscape and the other needs GIMP, and I can work with that.
Best regards,
Kurt
Old 02-21-2014, 08:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGiraffe View Post
Thank you so much, Steve. I'll download GIMP and try it out. I don't really understand the difference between vector and raster, but I do understand one works with Inkscape and the other needs GIMP, and I can work with that.
Best regards,
Kurt
While GIMP is definitely the tool for raster format images, you might be better off importing the image into Inkscape and then drawing vector format over the top. This would allow you to recolor and scale the model in the future, if you wanted.

By the way, the difference between raster and vector is that raster stores a color value for each pixel, and vector stores lines and shapes, turning them into pixels only when you display them on screen or print them.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:28 AM

This is my first attempt to do any changes to a downloaded card model, and all I'm wanting to do right now is make a bunch of black panel lines into a bunch of light grey panel lines -- personal preference. The basic livery will remain unchanged. But if I can do this to my satisfaction, I do see trying out a whole color scheme someday soon.

If I redraw the lighter lines over the older in Inkscape, is there a way to do a white border around the new line so it covers the blurry edges of the old line, or do I need to first erase the old completely?

Thanks!
Kurt
Old 02-22-2014, 09:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
If Inkscape is like Corel, the lines you draw are on a separate layer, ie, if you delete the original drawing you will be left with the new lines you have drawn. You can color the enclosed shapes with the fill tool, or export them to a raster program and paint on them.

Beard
Old 02-22-2014, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 38.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGiraffe View Post
This is my first attempt to do any changes to a downloaded card model, and all I'm wanting to do right now is make a bunch of black panel lines into a bunch of light grey panel lines -- personal preference. The basic livery will remain unchanged. But if I can do this to my satisfaction, I do see trying out a whole color scheme someday soon.

If I redraw the lighter lines over the older in Inkscape, is there a way to do a white border around the new line so it covers the blurry edges of the old line, or do I need to first erase the old completely?

Thanks!
Kurt
Can you post a link to the model you are referring to? It would be easier to give input that way.

Using Gimp you can simply draw the new lines over the old ones in a different color. Sometimes the blurry edges are really detrimental to the finished product and you have to clean them up, other times you may not notice them when printed.

You can always draw the new line in the color you want, then draw white lines beside the colored line to hide the blurry bits.

My favourite approach is similar to what Dabeer suggests. Gimp also supports layers. I make a new, transparent layer over top of the original image. Making sure the new layer is active I then trace (draw) the new lines over the old ones. All the new lines will be in the new layer, effectively leaving the original image untouched. You can copy the entire image this way, filling areas with color and generating a nice clean pattern.

Your best friends will be the selection tools (particularly the Free Select and Fuzzy Select tools) and the Color Picker (eyedropper). It can be a pain switching between layers all the time, but it's worth it. Add the layers tab to the toolbox and it's much easier.

Dabeers suggestion of importing the image into Inkscape is ideal, because then you create an entirely new pattern in vector format that can be easily scaled and rotated and recolored in the future.

Both techniques can be a lot of work though. It's not bad with simple models, but gets more challenging with highly textured models.

Again, the best thing you can do is show us what model you're working with.

Steve
Google Adsense
Old 02-23-2014, 10:44 AM

Good Day!

The model I'm practicing on is one I bought for download, and if I can learn to do this, I'll be buying this model with a different color scheme and making the panel line adjustments before I print. I'm hesitant to actually post it since it's not a free model, but perhaps I can crop a small area to show what I mean.

Meanwhile, I'll look at the layering suggestion. I've heard of that with airplane "models" for MS Flight Simulator, though I only painted in the basic layer.

Thank you!
Kurt
Old 02-23-2014, 12:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Layering is really the way to go on repaints. That way you can add and subtract things from you drawing. Say you want to take a plane and weather it. You can have one layer with carbon, another with mud/dirt, and a third with chips. Then you can use the individual layer you want, making your model either pristine or war weary, on anything in between. The raster program I use is Corel Photo Paint, which allows you to turn on or off the layers you want to use, you can even move them forward are back of individual layers, like putting chips on first and dirt second, or switch them around.

Adobe will do the same thing, as I am sure others will. If you buy a program, make sure you can open another programs files, then you can inspect the way they worked their layers.

Beard
Old 02-23-2014, 07:26 PM

I do want to try this out one evening this week. I'll start with GIMP since I have that now. Thanks to all of you for your advice and suggestions. I'll let you know!
Best regards,
Kurt
Old 02-27-2014, 05:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Thanks for the manual, Steve!

Although not yet worked it through it can surely help me to replace the lost working of some of my old graphical tools due to the forced change of OS from XP to Win8.1. My main HD is almost gone, still ticking....

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 03-01-2014, 02:58 PM

Hello! I've temporarily put aside my original project and am working with recolors of the ScissorsAndPlanes 737-200. Using one of the other models, I've followed through your tutorial and have successfully grouped and ungrouped objects, changed colors and shapes, and other things like that.

Now, starting with an uncolored model, I am wanting to paint a stripe along the passenger window line, but can't quite figure out the best way to do it. For instance, if I want to draw a broad blue stripe that encloses the windows and runs the length of the airplane, what is that best way to do that? I would want the windows all to show, but the other fuselage panel lines to either be a darker blue where they cross the stripe, or not to show at all. I've tried drawing a line for the top of the stripe and one for the bottom and then filling, but the panel lines don't cooperate. Surely there must be an easier way?

Thanks!
Kurt
Google Adsense