PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 07-30-2014, 05:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 44.88 MB
paper has a grain

There are some pretty amazing techniques on this forum, but i have never heard mention of this. and its a pretty basic fact that needs to be addressed if you are starting out in this hobby.

Many years ago read a book containing several simple models made from ordinary white cartridge paper, a whole page was dedicated to the fact that most paper and card has a grain running through it like wood.

Paper that is rolled against this grain often ends up horribly creased so when rolling skins or tubes for example; always work with the grain whenever possible.
also long straight folds work much better, so wherever possible align leading edges and so forth with the grain lengthways to avoid the crinkly fibrous leading edge syndrome that spoils otherwise fine models.

paper will always take a curve easier along the grain so its easy to identify which way it lies.

i know most of you guys have probably worked this one out for yourselves but for someone new to the hobby its a useful tip off.
Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2014, 06:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Usually, the grain runs lengthwise along the long part of the paper. I like to place parts so long folds run along the grain, and rolled parts cross it.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 342.84 MB
According to what i've read on a design tutorial article (i think it's from FG) that is why the fuselage parts (or any part that needs to be rolled like engine nacelle) are positioned lengthwise on the page

from FG page:
'Most cardstock grain goes vertical so parts should be placed on the page to take advantage of bending along the grain. Regular versions are simply two large pages reduced and rotated 90 degrees to fit on one page. Printed on light cardstock, grain matters less'
Old 08-08-2014, 09:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Good to see someone has flagged this up, and I know FG has the fuselage parts running vertical because that's the way the grain runs. A word of caution, though, it doesn't always, although the times I've bought cardstock cut 'across the grain' have been small. It may have a lot to do with the US still cutting paper to old imperial (inches) size whereas Europe cuts to A4 and metric. Stick with the rolled parts going vertical on the sheet, won't go far wrong :-)
Incidentally, I got my hands on 'ungrained' cardstock surplus from a local printers. They can be a useful source of card because they buy in bulk for contract work and often cut up the spare to small pages to shift the surplus stock. What I got was leftover from a top-end quality picture book :-)
Plumdragon
Old 08-08-2014, 02:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
If a part is laid out against the grain, it isn't a total loss. It just takes a little more 'finessing'
Google Adsense
Old 08-08-2014, 03:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 236.34 MB
Paper also has a top and bottom.
If you put it in some printers upside down it will cause paper jams after 2 or 3 pages have printed.
Look on the label of the paper ream to figure out which side goes up.