PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 06-30-2016, 12:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.05 GB
Your welcome joshuajaeseo! I figured how to do it on my own, but I can't figure out how to recolor using the other programs, so I gonna stick with what I know.

Thanks pdmccool it nice to know I could design with MS Paint! I been recoloring, and resizing.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
I just finished up with your tutorial so thank you for that! This really opens up a lot of possibilities.

Some questions:

If a model PDF includes vector images, can I use PDFill to extract those images in vector format and if so, how?

Let's say I convert a model PDF to PNG images at 300 DPI. The original model was an A4 document at 1:33 scale. I pull the model into Paint and blow it up to 1:25 scale (132% of original). Now I want to print on US Letter so I need to account for the deviation from A4. Are there any tools inside Paint to adjust the inherent size of my image so I know I hit the correct scale for printing? If I recall correctly, Photoshop let me set an inherent size to an image but Paint seems to lack this feature.

Is Inkscape still the go to free program of choice for editing vector image files? I remember using it around 2007 or 2008.

Is GIMP still the go to free program of choice for editing raster images. Paint is fine but I immediately realized I need something more powerful and refined for what I wish to do.

Again, thank you for the tutorial! It really was extremely useful.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.79 MB
thanks
you help me
Old 07-01-2016, 10:55 PM

Scaniaalexx you are very welcome!

Damraska I just read about the differences between victor and raster. I was trying to find the thread, but couldn't find it. I just know that when you inlarge victor images they stay sharper and clean as the size increases to a point, but raster images will start blurring because of weathering effects put on to give a model a weathered look. Wish I could find that thread. As for scale sizes in MS Paint from doing the rescale MK II Viper Revell Fan told me that ninjatoe's viper was 1/36th scale. He took the 1/1 measurements we found online, and the measurements ninjatoe posted of his model, and that I increase his model by 150% in MS Paint, and he told me it made it 1/24th scale. Revell Fan could explain it better. He did the math. I think if I increased the viper parts to 200% then it would be 1/18th scale.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
GIMP is my go to for editing photos. Have Inkscape but haven't done much with it. I remember somebody posted about another free vector program they really liked, but don't remember what it was called.
Google Adsense
Old 08-07-2016, 12:13 PM

I finally found something I can do with GIMP2. I tried using it to recolor, but it was so different from MS Paint that I would get upset and give up. I tried sevral times, and finally gave up and went back to paint. I have had GIMP2 on my computer for over a year. I almost uninstalled it a couple of times.

A week ago I wanted to try photo shopping an image out of a picture, and put it into another picture. I knew it wouldn't look right using paint, so I went to GIMP2 to see if I could use it to photo shop. Found a free hand tool that looks like a lasso or noose.

The first pic is where I took my General Lee viper, and some other pictures from the web. The other pics are my guitar as it is now, and what it will look like once I get all the parts I want to put on it. Did it to see if it matches what I thought it would look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Resizing paper models in MS Paint.-2016-08-01_2223.jpg   Resizing paper models in MS Paint.-img_20160805_105625.jpg   Resizing paper models in MS Paint.-2016-08-03_1158.jpg  
Old 08-07-2016, 12:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
@Damraska : PDFill is unable to extract vector images. It rasters the pages and turns them into bitmaps.

InkScape is able to import the pages as vector graphics. Its import filter is more powerful than the one of CorelDRAW12.

If the PDF is password protected you may have to remove that using PDFill first before you may import the page(s) in question.

Gimp is very powerful and used for advanced bitmap editing. It is my standard raster image editing software. It allows you to accurately re-scale parts, recolour and manipulate them. In addition, you are able to use layers and paint masks which vastly enhance your options and possibilities.