PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 12-11-2015, 07:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
How to copy a Windows PC flash drive

This is not specifically about modeling, except I've heard a few people lament about losing their models through a flash drive crash. I just learned how to copy a flash drive and thought I'd share the technique. This is on a Windows PC, I don't know what would be different with a Mac.

First, insert both the old and the new drives into separate USB ports. Using File Explorer, open the old flash drive. You should see all your files.
Press "control", then "a". This selects all of the files.
Press "control", then "c". This copies all of the files.
Next, open the new flash drive. Press "control", then "v".(Or, you could right click and select "paste"). This will copy all of the files.
Google Adsense
Old 12-11-2015, 11:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
it called keyboard shortcut... I found others keyboard shortcuts here... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/126449

best regards, Loui
Old 12-12-2015, 02:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Just remember that flash drives are good for "temporary" storage. They are just too easy to damage and to easy to lose. It's a good idea to have multiple backups and refresh them often.

Curt
Old 12-12-2015, 02:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashevilleangler View Post
Just remember that flash drives are good for "temporary" storage. They are just too easy to damage and to easy to lose. It's a good idea to have multiple backups and refresh them often.

Curt
Exactly.

A friend recently reminded me: "always have several back-ups: your hard drive, an external hard drive, never throw away your burned CDs, and if possible upload to any storage service you have on-line (or cloud storage as they call it nowadays)".

Is better to play safe and have multiple copies of your important files. It may be time-consuming to keep all synchronized, but once a file is lost or damaged you'll never regret to have spent some minutes making security copies of it.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenandres77 View Post
Exactly.

never throw away your burned CDs,".

Is better to play safe and have multiple copies of your important files. It may be time-consuming to keep all synchronized, but once a file is lost or damaged you'll never regret to have spent some minutes making security copies of it.
another invaluable tool is the Cathy directory lister:

Cathy - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

what Cathy does is it make a directory tree listing on ANY disk and stores it. So when you burn a CD or DVD, you properly number them YYMMDD-HHMM.
Before putting the disk is some storage box or where ever, you run the disk through Cathy and this way Cathy records the directory tree and all the files that are on that disk. Cathy then allows you to search ALL of the disks that it has cataloged at once for a file. this way you don't have to keep popping in and out disks/cds/usb sticks, hard drives, whatever to find a file.

here are some screenshots, the first is the tab to add a disk to cathy and the second is a search of every backup I have ever made in the last 15 years of every CD/DVD/Hard drive I have ever had for a file that has "lunar...lander" anywhere in its file name
Attached Thumbnails
How to copy a Windows PC flash drive-cathy_image1.jpg   How to copy a Windows PC flash drive-cathy_image2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-13-2015, 11:22 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Just a heads up on CDs and DVDs......... the ones you burner yourself have an average shelf life of about 10 years (plus or minus) YMMV

Soooo these are really NOT good for long term storage.......... I mean 10 years will fly by faster than you realize.

This articles says even shorter........

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

My Drawings
Old 12-13-2015, 11:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
Just a heads up on CDs and DVDs......... the ones you burner yourself have an average shelf life of about 10 years (plus or minus) YMMV

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
And I think that these are the good quality, archival grade CD/DVD-Rs. The cheaper ones (bulk, generic) last shorter.

Tags
drive, flash, files, press, control, copy, windows, open, ports, separate, drives, usb, file, explorer, selects, click, select, paste, v.or, copies, losing, lament, models, crash, people