PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 08-13-2016, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Making camo patterns with Illustrator

Hello!

Hold on to Illustrator - for many reasons. I almost always use the rectangle tool to create a closed loop. Add and move points, and shape the perimeter with the help of all those small handles you can bring out by using the "convert anchor point tool" (part of the pen tool in my CS3 - hope it works for you too). This way you can make any Bezier curve you will want to, soft curves in places, sharp corners on edges.

Usually you start with applying one of the colors to the whole part, and then add other smaller fields on top of that. You can copy the basic part pattern and modify that, once for each color.

Here's a goodie - if you want to create a fuzzy contour between fields, you can copy the top field, delete all anchor points but the dividing line. Now make this line in the same color as the top field, and "feather" it, if you have that option under the effect menu.

I fist learned to do this by studying, and slightly improving, the PZL-55 (above), originally by Marek Pacinsky.

I realize it might be difficult to follow brief descriptions like this. Hope you will try it though, and get back with more questions, if you think the general method will work for you.

Leif
Old 08-13-2016, 09:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.06 GB
Thank you Glenn and leif. I will definitely use the feather feature. And yes, CS2 has convert/add/delete anchor point too If i have any questions I'll post them

-C-2A Greyhound
-Br.1050 Alize
Old 08-13-2016, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSongLi View Post
I'm using Inkscape, and use the Pen (Bezier) tool to draw pretty much everything.

Gary
Same. I use the Bézier tool in Inkscape to get a rough shape. I then control-click on most points to get a rounded shape.