PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 05-12-2010, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Nice mate. Enjoyable reading. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Much appreciated.

Cheers
Jim
Old 05-13-2010, 12:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
I have never learned how to use a color wheel correctly so I am really looking forward to your posts.

Jim Nunn
Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nunn View Post
I have never learned how to use a color wheel correctly so I am really looking forward to your posts.
Jim, I think I need to say something here so that you and others don't have expectations that aren't going to be met here.

This is a demo on a method of mixing several colors of paint to match an existing color.... It has nothing to do with learning how to use a color wheel, at least directly. You can apply this method to what a color wheel will tell you, but you need to find another source for Color Theory, which is what a Color Wheel is all about.

I suggest you Google "Color Theory" and spend some time looking through some of the links listed there.

I took a quick look and for basic color wheel theory I'd suggest:
WetCanvas: ArtsSchool Online: Color Theory & Mixing: 16 Lessons in Color Theory

I also use this electronic Color Wheel. It has some very useful demos and a nice digital color wheel that works well for basic use:

Color Wheel CD-ROM---- IT"S THE 2ND ITEM LISTED ON THE PAGE---, you might have to scroll to see it.

Robert Gamblin DVD, Color Wheel CD-ROM, Paint-by-Numbers CD-ROM

The Color Wheel CD-ROM™ is interactive software that includes all of the tools of Color Wheel. This software allows you to learn and understand Color Theory. Use it to mix and save colors, learn about color relationships, explore tints, tones and shades. A color theory guide is included. Sku 22005

I'm sorry that you got the wrong idea of what I plan on doing here, but it will still ultimately be a way to achieve the colors your trying to match on an existing paper model that needs final touch-up....

SFX
Old 05-13-2010, 03:00 PM

One of the hardest choices to make when your considering creating a set of color mixing charts is what medium are you planning on doing the charts in? Oil, acrylics, watercolor, gouache, colored pencil, pastel, felt tip or something that you'd like to keep secret;-)

You could do several sets in different mediums, if you use different mediums when you retouch your models. However, I think that once you've done one set, you'll think twice of doing a second. A complete set of charts for one medium can take anywhere from 20-60 charts. It depends on how many different colors you want to work with.

I work with 11 different tubes of color plus white and even though I've never done every combination of 2 colors I still have 42 charts.

Why, you might ask, do I have to make a separate chart for each medium? It all depends on how picky you are when it comes to color matching.... If you are pretty lax about it, then you probably don't even need to be reading this stuff, and can do a 'close enough for government work' finish that you'll be happy with.

If you pick your paint brands carefully, all the same maker, then one set of charts will likely work just fine. If you pick Liqutex Acrylic and W/N watercolors you'll have problems matching the colors across brands.

I work(ed) in Liqutex and Golden Acrylics and DaVinci Gouache. All are water based and are easy to clean-up after use. And because of the work I use to do, I ended up making 3 sets of color charts over a period of 20 years...

For my card models I use only Gouache-----

For several reasons:

1. They are fairly opaque. Takes less paint to cover an area.

2. Water soluable, easy to prepare, mix, apply and if you forget to clean your brush, much more forgiving. You can usually re-wet your brush, slosh it around in soapy water and rinse without doing too much damage to your expensive brush.

3. Because they can be re-wet you can leave the unused paint on your palette and re-use it 3 months from now and it will preform just fine. On the same note, if your finished model ever gets wet, your paint will run. But if your model gets wet, running paint will be the least of your worries!

Even if you decide some medium that I haven't mentioned, that is fine. What ever works for you or whatever your comfortable with is what you should select.. Maybe it is the best for the way you work or feel comfortable with.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Thanks for taking the time to write something that goes straight into a bookmark... I'll come back to read this very often!
Google Adsense
Old 05-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Excellent! I am so glad to get some kind of paint suggestion works for me and your reasons for using gouache makes sense
Chris
Old 05-13-2010, 04:54 PM

In order to plan some images for an upcoming post, I would like to see if there is any particular color range that you, as readers, would like to see mixed in the color mixing demo?

I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear from you.

thanks,
SFX
Old 05-13-2010, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
This is great SFX. I'm starting to rethink what (very) little I know about coloring paper models, and have learned lots just in the few beginning pages! Thanks for your efforts.

I vote for any of the various shades of olive drab one encounters in armor and A/C models.

Mike
Old 05-13-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
In order to plan some images for an upcoming post, I would like to see if there is any particular color range that you, as readers, would like to see mixed in the color mixing demo?

I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear from you.

thanks,
SFX
First off mate, many thanks for taking the time to do this. Never underestimate how your efforts, no matter how big or small, are appreciated by all.

Now I would like to see the brown range of colours. Mainly in the lighter shades but not to worried either way. I am thinking sand, roof tops, tiles kind of thing. I am thinking light tan (ish)

Cheers and good luck with this. I am sure others will add there hints and tips to yours.

Jim
Old 05-13-2010, 07:10 PM

Hi SwampFox. Sorry I have another question here. Obviously you mix your paints for a reason. lol Will you be showing us the basics on how to apply the paint together with a before and after image. That would really complete the picture on colour mixing and application.

No worries if not but wanted to ask.

Cheers
Jim
Google Adsense