PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

View Poll Results: Capability to print on sheets bigger than 8.5" x 11" ( yes or no answers)
yes 27 20.30%
no 50 37.59%
Sheet size 11"x17"? 15 11.28%
Sheet size 12" x 18" or 13" x 19"? 9 6.77%
Sheet size 24" x 36"? 4 3.01%
Happy with 8.5" x 11" or A4 sheet size! 67 50.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2010, 05:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi SJPONeill,

Bought my first large format on ebay for $45 used for a HP1120-didn't work, since then I've bought 3 of the HP 1220c. They work great up to 13" x 19". Used on ebay the most I spent was $65 for one. Shipping to Alaska is what adds to it though.

Sold two as fast as I could list them. Liked em so much that I bought another one last year. It is my main use printer. Since it is a Professional Series, it is built tough!

Old technology I think it is 1200 x 2400 dpi using two ink cartridges. Black & a tri-color.

Mike
Old 06-14-2010, 02:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
I like large scale models. Coming from a 12" action figures collectors. I designing my card models to be 1/6 scale. The Folletto(I'm named it Folletto cause I don't like the name Flaptter, from Castle In The Sky) that I'm working right now, just finished painting it in photoshop. The model will come in 31 pages not including instructions(working on that right now), printing on A3. I can print that out with my Epson Stylus Photo 1280 Silver. But with that many pages and take so much ink. I'm going to take my file to a local printer to have it done. I'll print whatever minimum is. Keep a few and sell the other to cover my printing cost.

The 1280 would be much more affordable now with the new Epson models out. People should looks into getting a 1280 to print large format.
Attached Thumbnails
Poll Question About PDF Sheet Size-dsc_0019.jpg   Poll Question About PDF Sheet Size-dsc_0021.jpg.jpg   Poll Question About PDF Sheet Size-dsc_0022.jpg.jpg   Poll Question About PDF Sheet Size-dsc_0111.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 12:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
As a small model builder, I'm just fine in the letter size, though more often than not find that most models are usually on A4....which is a problem I tend to realize after printing out several sheets lol.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 135.14 MB
I like building big models also. But buying a wide format printer and the card stock that I have to use for it is not really in my budget. So I use my regular letter size and legal size card stocks to print larger size kits by using poster printing. So in essence, I'm in favor of larger size pdf files. Just imagine making a 1/6th scale Merkava Siran IV!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Banned

I think making a more with large D.P.I. allows for scaling up without losing quality. I would like to have a large format printer, but I'm married. It's too bad there isn't a way to produce a model and have the parts be easily relocated and positioned so larger scaling could be possible without so much fuss. I thought about just making a part per page and giving people the option to print at whatever size they want, but that could mean wasting a lot of paper if someone wanted a small model. Then again, printing a small model, and having another file with parts maxed out could be an option, though obviously, no matter what you do, there will be limits.

Let's all go over to Mike's house and all of us print up a big batch of large scale models!! How's next Saturday? B.Y.O.I. (Bring Your Own Ink).
Google Adsense
Old 11-15-2011, 09:44 AM

For anything but ships, 8" x 11" or A4 is fine. Even for ships, I think the realism is enhanced by having sections and join lines. If well done, they look better than an unmarked stretch from stem to stern.

With wooden ships, a real plank had a set length anyway and on steel ships, there's also a maximum length (although longer than with wood) that can be reasonably manufactured and handled, so joints in the model are just another way to make it look more real.

As for internal structural members, like keels and ribs, those can also be pieced together and joints will add to the strength if done correctly. One can always laminate with staggered joints like doing brickwork.

Another way to strengthen structural members is to add cross pieces. These can either be wood or thread, wire or of course, paper/card. Take a look at the interior plans of some of the old biplanes. They were braced with criss-crossing wires not only between the wings but between each of the frames inside the wings and the fuselage. There's no reason that can't be done inside ships too, in the places that can't be seen.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 304.26 MB
A4 vs Letter size

Just a workaround for the helpless like me - after having issues with A4 size pdf on 8.5 x 11, I tried 8.5 x 14 and can now print A4 full size!
Old 07-03-2019, 04:30 AM

Since most of my models were designed specifically for the consumer market, large format prints make up at least 50% of the models that I design, they were never meant to be a, "digital download" but rather, printed commercially for, "on site sales".

I think, that in the future, as wide format printers are getting substantially cheaper, they will become more common, I've contemplated getting one myself...

Last edited by FRD; 07-03-2019 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Fact is most people have a standard format printer at home.
And not many are going to buy a large format just for one or two models.

You will sell more kits at standard formats (Letter and A4)...the better to earn some profit and justify the work.

Printers are cheap...its the Ink that can cost a lot.
And just because its standard format, doesn't mean the ink will be cheaper.
HP printers are known to be ink guzzlers, and replacement ink cartridges are on average, the most expensive.
Buying an affordable printer that will suit your needs and be cost effective is a difficult task.

It makes more sense for a consumer building only one or two kits, to outsource to a Print shop.
Access to larger paper/card sheets is also a problem for some people in some areas...
a Print shop might have a better supply.

I'd suggest producing a kit on Letter/A4 format for the purpose of printing enlarged.
Specify that it is to be printed larger, and suggest outsourcing in case the builder doesn't have large format capabilities.
Include the necessary enlargement/size specifications...maybe even multiple scale options.

Ignore the fact that some may build at standard sheet scale, and just enjoy the sales!
Old 07-03-2019, 01:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
I use different paper weigths (from 80 to 250gsm) to minimise lamination, and i do not know how common are they in big formats so i prefer a4 where i have no problem to get them.

Extensions for X-wing
Google Adsense