PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

View Poll Results: Capability to print on sheets bigger than 8.5" x 11" ( yes or no answers)
yes 27 20.30%
no 50 37.59%
Sheet size 11"x17"? 15 11.28%
Sheet size 12" x 18" or 13" x 19"? 9 6.77%
Sheet size 24" x 36"? 4 3.01%
Happy with 8.5" x 11" or A4 sheet size! 67 50.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2010, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Poll Question About PDF Sheet Size

Hi,

I like to do big models. To do these, the bigger the sheet of cardstock they are fit to, the bigger the parts can be without cutting them up to fit. This of course creates many parts that have to be assebled before the actual part can be used.

So, this question is about PDF size and how many would like to see bigger sized PDF sheets.

Using AutoCAd, the PDF files can be almost any sheet size.
so this poll question is about the ones that can be printed out using a home wideformat printer.

I have two HP 1220c printers (up to 13" x 18" sheet size for less than $100 used on eBay). Two Hp 450c plotters (2ft x 3ft sheets -one is broken and is used for parts to keep the other one running) Finally the newest printer is the HP 120c (2ft x 3ft or using a roll 50ft long).

If larger size sheets were made available how many have the capability to use them?
Which of the following sizes would you like to see?
-8.5" x 11"? No need to change!
-11" x 17"? Could be taken to a copy shop and printed there if you can't print this size yourself.
-12" x 18"? To big for copy shops (kinkos etc..) This sheet size is a 2ft x 3ft single sheet cut into four sheets.
-24" x 36"? Possible to do 9ft long SR71 with this sheet size! (1" = 1ft scale).

Thanks in advance for any input!
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2010, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Don't have the capability to print larger than 8.5x11", it would be nice to if I had the money to spend on that type of printer. Taking it somewhere to be printed....I probably never would.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Turner View Post
Don't have the capability to print larger than 8.5x11", it would be nice to if I had the money to spend on that type of printer. Taking it somewhere to be printed....I probably never would.
I'm with 3T on this one - the outlay for large format for myself certainly wouldn't pay off, and size is a real issue - i tend to downscale models these days, so A4 is fine for me too.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
i use A0 paper for some of my models so yes
Old 05-23-2010, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.60 MB
I like big builds, but everything I've built up to now has been printed onto A4 paper.

Alfonso's ISS, at 1/144 scale, will be nearly 30" wide and not sure what size Jule's optimus prime is, but it's big. I've printed both of these off using letter resized to A4.

So for me, it's a no, unless I can justify the price of the printer, buy using it for other projects.
Google Adsense
Old 05-23-2010, 05:22 PM

Hi,

These comments are great! Thank you for the additional input!

Kind of interesting to see that so far there is almost as many wideformat as letter size.

Been trying to decide if it would be worth the effort to write out larger PDF files to keep part count down on bigger projects, this poll should help with that descission.

BTW-You can choose more than one answer with poll.

Mike
Old 05-23-2010, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
A4 is as large as I anticipate needing to print. In addition to the added expense of a large format printer, there is also the problem of obtaining the paper I like in large sizes.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:27 PM

Hi Thomas,

Real easy to find big sheets. Just look up paper suppliers in the phone book. Not the office stores, but the actual supplier.

You will see their delivery trucks on the road. They do massive deliveries to any type of office, for sure any Architect or Civil Engineering firm, as these types of businesses go thru allot of paper products. Some have a minimum charge, here in Alaska it is $250.00 at Unisource.

Another source is professional print shops (not copy shops like kinkos etc..). They can cut to special sizes. Can be really expensive going this route though!

Just bought 250 sheets of 100# Index for $28, at Frontier Paper here in Alaska.

That is a good price as the shipping on most things (up here) is more than the product you're buying.

Mike
Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 PM

I've noticed that there appears to be a fair number of printers capable of printing on larger than A4 or 8.5 x 11. But most seem happy with smaller sheets.

11x17 cardstock is easy to find. Parts can be bigger so some parts don't need chopped up to fit the page. For sure allows bigger models.

These are multipule choice questions, meaning you can choose more than one option. After seeing how many wider format printers there is, I'm thinking it might be worth while to create some 11x17 PDF to test and see if they would be downloaded.

Got a couple of on-going projects. But, will soon post a set in the download section.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 06-09-2010, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I like big models too and would like the option of being able to have larger projects printed on bigger sheets like A2 and A3 even though that would mean having to take the file to a print shop - and, of course, having to pay to reprint after a whoopsy: of Course, having some sort of penalty attached to whoopsies might discourage me from making so many...
Google Adsense