PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet > Video Vault

Old 12-24-2017, 11:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
WW1 Tanks in Georgia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSXR72MUruM

https://www.army.mil/article/170583/...ation_facility
Google Adsense
Old 12-25-2017, 06:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks, John. It looks as if the collection from Fort Knox and, perhaps, some of the Aberdeen Collection will be gathered at this location. https://www.armorcavalryheritagefoundation.org/museum-1

I hope that the Patton Museum archives will also find a home there and be properly preserved and made available to researchers.

I was pleased to see that the emblem of the new museum is "Old Bill," the 1870s cavalry trooper who also adorned the front gate and company streets of Blue Lancer Valley, the garrison of the 2nd Battle Group, 12th Cavalry, at Nullo-ri, Korea, when I was assigned to that outfit as a rifle platoon leader and, later, as S-3(Air) in 1962-1963.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
WW1 Tanks in Georgia-old_bill.png   WW1 Tanks in Georgia-old_bill_e-2bg-12cav-1962.png  

Last edited by Don Boose; 12-25-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
I hope that the tanks at Aberdeen were put under cover and someone makes the effort to try to stabilize them. It has been a couple of decades since I visited Aberdeen, but even back then the WW1 tanks were crumbling and spalling from rust damage.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The US is carrying out the usual care taken of unique historic artifacts. Most of the Aberdeen collection and, I think, part of the Fort Knox collection are currently in storage outside at the Anniston Army Base in Bynum, AL.

Some of the vehicles have been documented in https://www.flickr.com/photos/cmwebb...57634934823018 - scroll down to the bottom of the album list.

The current state of the Whippet and Mark IV are appalling - I'm surprised the Mark IV was transportable without falling apart.

I believe some of the vehicles and other equipment will be restored for museums but I suspect most of the vehicles will be lost to corrosion long before the museums get around to it.

Charlie
Old 12-25-2017, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The ex-Aberdeen Mark IV tank at Anniston has lots of stress corrosion cracking in the armour to the extent that chunks of the armour have broken off. This type of damage isn't easy to remediate because the steel becomes quite brittle. The damage is much worse than the cracking on the Russian Mark Vs which have been outside in the Russian climate.

There is supposed to be an M1922 medium tank at Anniston - it's the only surviving tank with snake track and cable suspension. These were innovations which, if properly developed, could have made tanks a much more potent weapon system.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense