PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Ah, thank you. When I printed Moulin A Eau, P.C. 1228, on American 8-1/2 inch x 11 inch paper, the printed area was 19.5 x 27.1 cm. Just a little smaller than original. Diderick's charming little models are an inspiration for us all.

Anne
Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
My fellow Epinal-admiring friends, I have spent some time with the Epinal models and have come to the conclusion that "petite," "moyens," and "grande" constructions have nothing to do with the size of the model, but, rather are an indication of the degree of complexity of the model.

All of the Epinal sheets are roughly the same size, but the number of parts on the three sizes varies from just a few on petite sheets to a large number of parts on the grande construction sheets.

Am I correct in my conclusion?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
My fellow Epinal-admiring friends, I have spent some time with the Epinal models and have come to the conclusion that "petite," "moyens," and "grande" constructions have nothing to do with the size of the model, but, rather are an indication of the degree of complexity of the model.

All of the Epinal sheets are roughly the same size, but the number of parts on the three sizes varies from just a few on petite sheets to a large number of parts on the grande construction sheets.

Am I correct in my conclusion?
No! See Patricia Eureka's earlier entry on paper size of the three series. Of course larger size paper allows for more separate parts, thus more complicated models.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 41.75 MB
No, small , medium and big, it's with the size of the plate , but it's true that the "grandes constructions" (many of them was with 3 or more plates like locomotive + tender+ wagon some was in book like toy theatre not easy to find... with a reasonable price) and moyennes constructions" are more beautifull suppose the small was the most cheap and simple .
;-)patricia

taille size epinal par pilllpat (agence eureka), sur Flickr

Last edited by patriciaeureka; 02-09-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 PM

Thank you so much! I have never seen them compared to each other. Since they all scanned at roughly the same size I assumed the sheets were the same, too. That's actually pretty exciting. I have a petite construction. So, that's the smallest.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:39 AM

We are having a spell of winter here by the North Sea - we don't often have enough frost for canals and lakes to freeze over, but with about 15 cms of ice we will have literally hundreds of thousands of people skating all over the country this weekend.
So the next Epinal scan I found on the internet was very suitable indeed: 'Blockaus attaqué par des ours blancs', Petites Constructions nr 1332. Size 7,5x8,5 cms. The figures, including the polar bear, consist of two sides glued together. Which explains why the bear has two faces, one on each side...
These small items remind me of another French series. L'Instant Durable is of course well known for their phantastic French castles and cathedrals. However, they also have a series of over 150 postcards, drawn with nice detail and colouring. Many years ago I collected most of them by asking those of my pupils who went to France on holiday to look out for them. They were fun to build: just about an evening's work, and they added up to a lovely mini-collection. Go to my New Photo Collection on Flickr: Den Bakker's Photostream for some pictures. (And now that we are on the subject: please send me pictures of your own built models to add to the collection?!)
Attached Thumbnails
Epinal models-blockausweb-1.jpg   Epinal models-blockausweb-2.jpg  
Old 02-10-2012, 08:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 41.75 MB
7,5 x 8,5 cm it's when the model is build ? not the plate or maybe they reprint moderm post card..
Here the plate need a Mr Charles Davenport big restoration, no?

imagerie d epinal-6 par imperturbe, sur Flickr

;-)patricia
Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 AM

No, that is the built up size. I photoshopped the original file a bit to make it whiter - but I don't really mind the discoloration - is makes the model rather athmospheric.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:26 AM

I restored this one some time ago but haven't built it. I am fascinated by how French children of the time were allowed to experience their world. I have not seen an American counterpart of period that comes close to the scale that Epinal achieved. And, Epinal was just one French company doing this!
Attached Thumbnails
Epinal models-epinal-blockhouse-attacked-polar-bears-600.jpg  
Old 02-11-2012, 07:39 AM

Last summer I spent a very rainy week collecting as many titles and pictures of Epinal models as I could. No particular reason: just something to do. I found that there are only very few pictures / scans of sufficiently high resolution to print and build. Two excellent files (PC 1204 Locomotive & Tender, and PC 1205 Wagons) can be downloaded as Tiff files from Petites constructions. Locomotive et tender
They make a nice set.
Attached Thumbnails
Epinal models-1205-pc-wagons.jpg   Epinal models-1204-pc-locomotive-tender.jpg  
Google Adsense