PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 09-02-2016, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
jleslie: The camp looks beautiful! What fun it must be to spend time there. I've never been to Massachusetts outside of Boston.

In case you're interested here's the link to the original thread on the Ar-Men lighthouse including some dramatic photos of the real thing.

New (old) lighthouse, "The Hell of Hells"
Old 12-29-2017, 10:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 68.81 MB
Imagerie d'Epinal village

Here is my collection of Pellerin "Epinal" models, printed from scans found on the web. I scaled them to roughly N scale (1:150) though some are sized smaller than that. The originals were from the late 19th century, but since it is 2017, I modified a few details here and there.
Attached Thumbnails
Epinal models-img_0029.jpg  
Old 12-29-2017, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetun View Post
Here is my collection of Pellerin "Epinal" models, printed from scans found on the web. I scaled them to roughly N scale (1:150) though some are sized smaller than that. The originals were from the late 19th century, but since it is 2017, I modified a few details here and there.

Did you have great copies of the templates, or did you have to clean them up graphically? They look great
Old 12-29-2017, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Nice collection of models and a very nice diplay.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the comments.

Although I subscribe to Adobe for Photoshop, etc, I ended up using GIMP on most of the scans just to increase the contrast, darken the colors a bit and desaturate the yellow. A few of them got an "upgrade" in design because they either didn't fit together well or they were kind of boring (to me). It is possible that scanners don't always duplicate the shapes accurately, which might explain the fit problems.
Google Adsense
Old 12-29-2017, 03:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
My better half and I visited L'Imagerie d'Epinal just over 20 years ago and I managed to buy some half a dozen original sheets pretty cheaply (they had lots of them then). It was an entertaining experience. The original printing machine had been preserved in full working order and we were given a demonstration. It was a very Heath-Robinson contraption with lots of cogs, gears, drive belts and mechanical arms waving about. And it made a terrible racket - but it worked! The colouring was done using thin sheet brass stencils - one for each colour - and paint applied by mechanical brushes. The process wasn't a terribly accurate one, which explains why the colouring of those old sheets was commonly slightly off-centre.

The Imagerie is still in business and can still be visited but their current output is in the field of high quality art prints and illustrated books. If you plan to make a purchase be sure to take out a second mortgage before you go!

https://www.imagerie-epinal.com/
Old 01-26-2018, 07:07 AM

Philip, I have noticed the off center color registration on many of the prints and wondered about it. Thanks for explaining the process. I guess it was cheaper than hand coloring or using the full-color lithographic process. Gives them the "Epinal" charm?