PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 03-02-2012, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Very pretty sub!

Amazing how these little vintage models are coming to life again.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
Thanks for the kudos, fellow paperians! The finish on the boat came as a surprise to me. The model as it was printed at FedExExpress was full of detailed color, but subs aren't glossy. When I sprayed it with clear matt, the effect is what you see here.

It was late last night, and I didn't check to see what kind of clear matte I was using, acrylic or VOC. I'll have to check that. The effect was unintended, but I really liked it when I saw the result.

Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than smart! LOL!

SteveA asked how I achieved the finish. I wish I could tell you that it was a masterstroke of modeling execution, but in reality, it was just dumb luck. If you want the same effect, here's how to do it.

Print you file on 11 x 17 100 lb semi-gloss card stock at Fed Ex Express. The print quality is far superior to anything you can achieve at home. Build the model in your best fashion.

Once complete, seal the paper with clear matte enamel spray. The enamel "ate" the color ink and left me with the finish you saw. At first, I was aghast! Then, as I looked at it closer, I realized that I got REALLY lucky.

I had intended to use ACRYLIC clear matte and used the wrong can by mistake. Isn't that pretty much the story of the world? Goodrich invented vulcanized rubber by mistake....though I am not putting myself in his league. It's just sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Thanks for asking, SteveA, and thanks to all for your generous comments!
Old 03-02-2012, 04:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Beautiful! You have to love those happy accidents!
Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 PM

I have to wonder, what the odds would be at attempting to replicate this and having the "rust" form in all the right places as it did with yours. Amazing.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.48 MB
Really cool vintage model! thanks for share it, cdavenport!

Greetings from Brazil!

Mauther
Google Adsense
Old 03-02-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A View Post
I have to wonder, what the odds would be at attempting to replicate this and having the "rust" form in all the right places as it did with yours. Amazing.

You'll just have to give it a try and see what happens! It's a fun little build. Do remember to use bulkheads or you'll have a devil of a time fitting those cones to the hull!

in retrospect, I should have cut one bulkhead to use as a template for a solid styrofoam hull. I just love the styrofoam method of building these paper models.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
I just love the styrofoam method of building these paper models.
Stryofoam! Huh! I have a 1/96 Saturn V of Ton Noteboom's that has caused me considerable angst because the cereal box bulkheads I use as formers never seem to be enough. The stryofoam would be rigid enough yet still light! I love this forum. Once I overcame the obstacle for the 1/96 Saturn V, I wanted to take a crack at the 1/48th scale. Are you just using scrap foam and shaving it to shape and size?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A View Post
Stryofoam! Huh! I have a 1/96 Saturn V of Ton Noteboom's that has caused me considerable angst because the cereal box bulkheads I use as formers never seem to be enough. The stryofoam would be rigid enough yet still light! I love this forum. Once I overcame the obstacle for the 1/96 Saturn V, I wanted to take a crack at the 1/48th scale. Are you just using scrap foam and shaving it to shape and size?

I am doing just that. You can also use pink or blue insulation foam from Home Depot. In fact, it would be a more suitable choice and it's dead cheap.

I use a foam cutter which is noting more than heated Stainless Steel wire. There are a number of tutorials on how to build one. If you have access to some scrap wood, screws and glue, you can build one. A train transformer will serve admirably as a variable voltage (read: heat) power supply. You can still use cereal boxes, but now, as a template to cut the styrofoam.

There is an added benefit. Since the styrofoam is about 3/4" thick, you no longer need joining strips. You can use it as the bulkhead that joins to sections together. I use this technique to great advantage! It allows you to get really tight and wrinkle-free seams.

I'm about to do a build of a 1:1 scale Panzerfaust anti-tank weapon. I'll post pics of how I build the "tube" to support the paper. It's the same construction technique you would want since it's basically a tube....same as a rocket.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
For some vintage original Epinal prints, see my new thread Imagerie d'Epinal.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
I find these antique models from Epinal very interesting both from the subject and artistic point of view. Considering the manual engineering it took to produce these gems one can only wonder at the creators' talents. Furthermore it seems only honorable and fair to give thanks to Patricia,originally, for what seem to be her unceasing efforts in bringing them to our notice.
Google Adsense