Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Naughty.... but nice
Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
A vintage French tatebanko.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I know it wasn't meant to be this small, but I attempted to build this from an A4 print.

First observation ... It ain't all there. This is obviously the top half of an automaton. The moving parts are not shown,nor is the bottom box, which is required for the moving figures to appear from and vanish into. This would show an unending line of gents climbing up the stairs.

Second observation ... Many of the parts have suffered distortion during the original printing and reproduction methods. Reducing it to A4 size no doubt exaggerating these faults further, but I pushed on regardless and completed the first attempt, which shows the glaring poor fit of the roof and front panels ...

Yes, of course it's populated.

The poor fit of the floors and walls has mostly been sorted by trimming them, but really the whole thing needs a complete make-over and re-colour.

I WILL do this, but don't wait on me. I'm not a fast worker and there are far to many other models in the 'To Do' pile.

Johnny.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM

Looking through Patricia's Flikr site I find that the missing instructions page IS there. Gonna have to brush up on my schoolboy French now, but that was 57 years ago.

I note too that she has started to split up the images ... Are you going for the re-draw/ re-colour too Pat?

Again, whilst in there I got sucked into sifting through the thousands of images she has put up. Where on earth do you find them all? Is there a paper recycling plant next door or something?

Johnny.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.51 MB
très français!

This is another reason I like cardmodeling. . .you won't find this kind of subject in plastic!

@patricia: Merci plus généreux !
cbg
Old 01-13-2013, 03:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
A vintage French tatebanko.
Surely he must have meant a vintage French tatebonka.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 PM

John M:

Congratulations, you are probably the first person to have built the Secret Box since the year it was originally published.

The fit does not look bad for a hand drawn model printed on nearly 100 year old cheap pulp paper that was never intended to survive more than a couple of weeks.
All things considered it is a nice build of a real piece of ephemera.

The model is pretty subversive as the "guests" lining up appear to be the local big wigs, a couple of wealthy dandies, the mayor. clergy man, what I think is a retired soldier and even the district rabbi.

The house is a properly liscensed establishment. There is a doctors office (cabinet de docteur) under the stairs, for his weekly visit to check out the working girls and make sure they don't have any occupational diseases.

Here is a very aproximate translation of the instructions.
First one cuts out and glues the parts.
Then then instructions say that you have to find your own little box to mount the building on. There is a picture of how to cut a slot in the top of the box for the moving figures. Two round morcels of wood make the pulleys, to go at top and bottom of the stairs spaced apart by two pieces of strong card stock. You have to make your own crank and axles. An ribbon (conveyor belt ) is glued around the round wood morcels to make a loop. Glue the guests on one foot appropriately spaced This arrangement fits in the staircase.
The figures are to be placed as shown in the diagram. I suspect the order of the men on the stair case shows the social pecking order of the village.

I plan to tweak the colors a bit using the hue and contrast adjustments in paint.net and then have a go at it.

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 01-14-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 PM

Hmmm? Why didn't I think of tweekin' the hue and contrast in Paint.net? That could well save a lot of re-colouring. Actually the colours on mine aren't good, but they're not as bad as they look in the pictures.

My trouble is that I'm using the Wife's camera and I haven't figured out how to switch on the flash, or adjust the focus, so I have to point a lamp at it or wait for the sun to come out.

Sun ??? In January ?? In Wales ?? Ya gotta be kiddin', eh?

I supose I could ask her how to drive it, but I think maybe not with the current subject.

Johnny.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 PM

I diddeled the colours

I ran the largest image through paint.net to brighten the colors and get rid of the background brown paper and then squished it with Irfanview.
Attached Thumbnails
a special house model !-boite-secret-_.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013, 04:23 PM

Very nice ... saved me some work ... Nicked it !

The roof, front walls, and most of the interior walls still need adjusting though, but you'll need to build it to see where and what is needed.

I see you resisted the temptation to touch up the ladies . I didn't.

Johnny.
Google Adsense