Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 04-03-2016, 08:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 41.75 MB
the link to the entire magazine "le rire numero spécial" :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/taffet...57632487422029

Old 04-06-2016, 10:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

Those of us who participate in the various modeling hobbies know that sitting down and building the model is only a part of the hobby. The more serious we become as modelers, the more interested we become in the history of the things we build. The desire to learn the story behind the castle or airplane or tank we stick together is what carries us on to the complete the project, and it leads us to other modeling subjects that we may not have considered before. History is more available than ever in our computer age, and it plays an increasingly important part in our hobby.

In my 30 plus years as a card modeler, I have never encountered a paper model that was so directly tied to a political and moral scandal than the model of la Boite de Nevers. With the help of Patricia from Agence Eureka and my internet friend Olivier Auger, we have learned of the century-old scandal surrounding this House, to use the polite term.

Monsieur Auger recently sent me an update of his research into the events in question, and I have included them in this post. Again, I have done some editing for clarification and punctuation, and I hope I have held true to Olivier’s original meaning. Thank you, Olivier, for your efforts.

Olivier’s email…

Hello,

I have seen your post of our messages on "Paper Modelers" and the few reactions. I now know a little bit more about the original printing of “La boite de Nevers.” This summer issue of the humor magazine Le Rire was published on July, 30, 1904, and was 24 pages long. It’s title was “La Tranquilité des enfants - pour les gosses de tous sexes de 25 à 80 ans. Numéro de vacances,” meaning (jokingly), “Child tranquility - for all children of both genders between 25 and 80 years - Summer issue.” It appears that this issue featured other paper works, most of them a little bit “risqué” (but we saw that the targeted audience was, in fact and of course, adults). As an example, the front cover figured a satyr removing its pants while two ladies in the back were covering their eyes. The pants and arms were moveable….

You have a video of the thing in motion here : Le Rire - BiblioCuriosa

Also, I continued researching the scandal, and I know a little bit more. I’ll just summarize the main findings. The exact date of the visit to the House in question was May, 28, 1904. Here is the list of the 10 most important civil servant notabilities engulfed in the scandal, on top of the mayor himself, is here (sorry it’s in French and I’m not sure of exact translations…let’s say these are local gov. § prefecture, military police captain, taxes collector, judges & procurors, etc…. ) :

“Le secrétaire général de la préfecture,

deux conseillers de préfecture

et le chef de cabinet du préfet ;

Le procureur de la République de Saint-Amand, M. Sauly,

et le substitut de Nevers, M. Compas (ancien substitut à Louviers) ;

Le directeur des contributions directes ;

Le chef de bataillon chef du génie ;

Le capitaine de gendarmerie ;

Le garde général des forêts”

The guest of honor at this famous bachelor party was a doctor at the center of an influential local network. As a doctor, he was a notable member of the community, as he knew and treated all the locally important people.

Altogether 26 people attended the bachelor party’s diner, all men, plus a seemingly clandestine working girl who offered herself and entered the party by being pulled thru a window! It’s only after a ride thru the city and many bars and cafés that they ended up in the House, where their conduct was so messy (they broke a table, poured champagne on a girl, etc.) that the Madam had to call the police (which was, believe me, not natural to do for a House’s madam back then). What’s new to me is that not only the mayor but in fact most of the ten people listed above, all of them public servants, did lose their responsibilities after the party. However nothing happened to the private persons who participated, as nothing was illegal, just “immoral” in the eyes of some. In fact, the big thing was the mayor himself, a very catholic and very rigid guy (even for the time) going to the House.

The groom’s name was doctor Bacquelin, and for those who may worry about his marital future, it’s nice to say that there was a happy ending to the story for him. Despite the mess and the national scandal, he did marry his long time fiancée, a Miss Guisson of Versailles, later that summer in 1904. (We know this thanks to another newspaper from the era who took the time to let its readers know about the wedding’s whereabouts… maybe they felt it was endangered? For sure we may wonder about how went the next meeting after the bachelor party between the fiance and his soon-to-be father-in-law. Hot waters!

I’m having a great time reading the newspapers from that summer and their reports of the scandal. Just to be short, once the stuff ignited, most of the male participants protested that they, in fact and of course, did quit the party very early, no later than 9pm, and so weren’t responsible for the mess. One newspaper wrote that, “Only the bachelors went to the House while the married ones stopped short of it.” Of course, nobody believed this, as the attendees already had a reputation of being hard-partyers. (Through the press, we even learned their university nicknames dating back to their medicine scholarship days in the Latin Quarter in Paris). Stories of the scandal went back and forth for days between newspapers of all political grounds… so funny… but I won’t go into all details here.

I also discovered that a song - in fact with a monologue bearing the very same title, “La boite de Nevers” was recorded and published in august 1904. I’ll try to listen to it as it has been recently digitalized.

Best regards,

Olivier