PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 09-10-2013, 07:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Vintage collection

Came across a CD Rom on ebay, with a large collection of vintage items. Many date back to the 20ties to 50ties, when small and very simple paper models were very popular in many countries as publicity items, free handouts etc. There are also quite a few items from the 'Illustreret Familie Journal', published in Copenhagen from 1877 onwards. One of their more ambitious projects was a large paper theatre, complete with sets of figures for various well known theatrical plays. These were probably published in weekly one page instalments as part of the colour supplement, which was much praised for its art reproductions.
I built a quickie: a simple 3D view called 'Arctic landscape with polar bears', consisting of just three parts.
As / when I build more of these vintage items, I will put them on my Flickr collection: Flickr: New Photo Collection, via www.zeistbouwplaten.nl's Photostream
Please send me your own favourite paper modelling pictures?
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage collection-arctic-1.jpg   Vintage collection-journal-theatre-15.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-10-2013, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
Very cool! Looks like a set from a George Melies silent movie.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 296.90 MB
I saw that CD and wondered if it had very much on it that is not available from Agence Eureka or formerly from Carta di Toto. Can you offer a review?

I love your Flickr photos and I appreciate so much your help when I was looking for photos from North Brabant in the late 1800s.

Christine
Old 09-11-2013, 03:46 PM

Christine: Glad you like the Flickr collection! I sent out a newsletter just two days ago, and almost 1200 people had a look at it. Very satisfying.

Yes, a lot of the items on the CD are indeed available elsewhere on the internet - but the CD saves a lot of searching at a very acceptable price. I found it a good buy: lots of collectors' items one might never come across without spending an inordinate amount of time browsing the internet. And all at high resolution, too. So yes: well worth the price.
On a personal note: glad to have been able to help you with your family research!

pdmcool: there is certainly a likeness to the George Melies moonscapes! For those who want to know more: go to Google images, or to Youtube.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
If it's the one I'm thinking of (with an Epinal theater on the front), I did buy one and was surprised to find one of the paper models I had contributed to Agence Eureka on it. I brought it to the attention of Patricia and she was pretty relaxed about it... after all, they're on the internet for people to copy and enjoy.

When I contacted the seller of the cd, they offered to remove the model that I referenced (the Bastille). I have no idea if they did or not. But that wasn't what I was asking for anyway. What I requested (and what I still think they should do) is provide links or attributions to the sources of the paper models they've collected. That way, they would in a small way compensate those, like Patricia and Toto, who originally found the models and took the time to create and maintain their websites.

As far as I know, they haven't done that either.
Google Adsense
Old 03-14-2014, 04:48 PM

Anyone interested in vintage Epinal prints: see my new thread, Imagerie d'Epinal.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:44 PM

All Epinal / vintage fans: see my new thread with that name!