PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 06-13-2016, 04:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

I’ve been away for a while, working on other projects. So, I was quite surprised to find a photograph of my model Sous Marin in Pinterest, linking to Papermau. After reading Papermau’s kind comments, I posted on their site clarifying the procedure I used to build the kitbashed submarine.

But there were more surprises to come. Thanks go to jleslie48 for compiling all the parts needed to replicate my model of the Sous Marin. I haven’t rebuilt the model from your beautifully compiled sheet, but it looks like everything is present and ready to be folded up. Thanks for your efforts.

And to alzictorini, no, I don’t want to sail beneath the waves in that ship…the baby on the conning tower is made of sterner stuff than I. And thanks to sparrowhawk and Gunner Greg for your encouraging remarks, too.

That’s all for now. I’m busy building models to add to my Spanish Propaganda Models thread. More to come.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 06-15-2016, 10:26 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Great work up!

Thanks for sharing it.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
The "Bateau Sous-Marin" is one of my favorites of the Pelerin series. I built one of these a few years ago, and it turned out well. Mine was sized to fit on one 8.5" x 11"(215.9 x 279.4 mm) and I made it "original" with no embellishments, but I like your addition of the metal tubes on the conning tower, and also lengthening the hull and putting on the extra hatch transforms the model into something quite different.

I agree that the instructions re: the torpedoes are a bit vague; I didn't figure out how they were supposed to look until I had cut out the pieces and tried them together, turning them this way and that till I found a way they would fit.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful model. I love those old designs, and it is good to see people building them still.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Oh man, easy to see how a person could develop a love for, obsession with, vintage models.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 28.46 MB
sub redux

beautifully done. I like the engraved look of the images.
Google Adsense
Old 06-17-2016, 12:40 PM

Hi All,

While a bit off-topic, I’m posting a few photographs of a pair of Pellerin paper models from my collection. It appears that they were drawn by the same unknown hand as the aforementioned Sous Marin. Some members have commented on the evocative artwork of the submarine, and I thought these models might be of interest, too.

The Canon a Balles (Mitrailleuse), No. 892, is a type of early machine gun, somewhat analogous to the better known Gatling Gun. However, its operation was quite different from its American cousin, and is well worth further internet investigation.

The second model is the Wagonnet, No. 1371. It’s a small, but surprisingly ornate ore car. Hand-powered by some exhausted underground miner, the potential market for this particular model must have been limited, but here it is, an interesting piece of French card model history.

I’ll present more detailed descriptions of these models in the future, I just thought you might like to see some other examples of this artist’s work.

If anyone knows of other Pellerin models by this artist in this unique style, please let us know.

Thanks to all for their continuing interest in these old models.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Submarine Redux-paper-models-4-051-copy.jpg   Vintage Submarine Redux-paper-models-4-052-copy.jpg   Vintage Submarine Redux-paper-models-7-039-copy.jpg   Vintage Submarine Redux-paper-models-7-040-copy.jpg   Vintage Submarine Redux-titan-group-045.jpg  

Vintage Submarine Redux-balles-7.jpg   Vintage Submarine Redux-wagonnet-1371.jpg  
Old 06-17-2016, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
Really nice builds on both models, Thumb Dog. Could you say anything more about what distinguishes this artist's work from the rest of the Epinals for you?

The only ones I could find in my collection that seemed similar were the plow, pile driver, car and tricycle I've attached.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Submarine Redux-epinal-1361_charrue.jpg   Vintage Submarine Redux-epinal-0553_marteau-pilon.jpg   Vintage Submarine Redux-epinal-1370_caisson-tricycle.jpg   Vintage Submarine Redux-epinal-1369_voiturette-automobile.jpg  
Old 06-17-2016, 06:40 PM

Hi All,

Tom, after thinking about it, I guess I was attracted by the forced color-blindness of the three Pellerin models I have shown. Their lack of color appeals to me. (I know the Canon is printed in a grey-green, but my oft-copied copy was conveniently washed out). Sometimes, Pellerin can resort to some lurid colors, and the three pictured models are subdued and count on their line for the message.

I like complex black-on-white line drawings of ships, detailed three-views of aircraft and black and white photographs of just about anything. I enjoy building plastic models and not painting them. For example, most plastic model ships are molded in grey, and a good, clean build is like a well-executed drawing. To me, the line is the thing. Sometimes, color can confuse the issue, and it keeps me from seeing the true shape. It should be noted, however, that I keep a favorite file in my computer covering hundreds of examples of WWI Dazzle Camouflage. Go figure.

You are right in suggesting that the Epinal pages you posted are by the same hand. I have seen them before, but never such good prints. Again, I was blinded by the color, and I didn’t make the connection. I enjoy the artist’s mechanical approach to his designs. By and large, the fit of his models is good, with the glaring exception of the muzzle of the Canon. He forgot the arc at one end of the part…hence the drooping effect seen in the photo.

I said in an earlier post that the artwork for these models came from a drawing. I wonder if that is true. I know that Pellerin used lithography to produce the black lines for their prints and the colors were then stenciled over the lines onto the paper. I can’t imagine an artist laboring over a stone creating the precise parts for a paper model. I’m guessing an original drawing was acid etched into the stone, but how was it done? Does anyone know?

Thanks for the models, Tom.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 06-18-2016, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
May well be some folks over at the Gn15 forum who would be interested in that ore car model. "Printy" models as they call them are popular with one segment of the members
Old 06-18-2016, 06:11 PM

Hi All,

And hello, southwestforests. Boy, I thought vintage papermodeling was esoteric. G scale (1:22.5 approx.) locomotives and rolling stock running around the garden on HO or OO track that represents a scale 15 inch gauge track. Now that’s niche modeling. But fun, I’m sure. Just getting it to stay on the rails would be the highlight of the run. Lots of ore cars, too.

The attached historic photograph shows what Gn15 models are trying to emulate. The man’s foot barely fits between the 15 inch rails.

Score and fold

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Submarine Redux-gn15-locomotive.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
model, models, parts, sous-marin, pellerin, torpedoes, ink, air, original, problem, simple, page, marked, submarine, firm, form, vintage, luck, site, #9200, bonder, spray, visit, worth, display