PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 06-19-2016, 01:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
Thumb Dog: very illuminating response. I wouldn't have guessed that it was the monochromatic quality that linked them for you. My picks were based on how the artist handled the wheels and the variegated shading for the rounded parts. The fact that they all turned out to be mechanical devices may be another clue.

I took a class in lithography years ago and it's possible to draw with some precision, but I think you're right about it involving some photographic or transfer process. Particularly for the lettering, all of which would have to be done backwards.

Tom

ps. fascinating idea of building plastic models, but leaving them unpainted. The true uniqueness of the object's form would then come forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Submarine Redux-wheel.jpg   Vintage Submarine Redux-shading-1.jpg   Vintage Submarine Redux-shading-2.jpg   Vintage Submarine Redux-shading-3.jpg  
Old 11-02-2016, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Extraordinary Victorian machine - so pretty!
Old 11-02-2016, 07:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, paperboy2000. Thanks for your comment and for keeping an eye on Vintage Models. Hard to believe it's coming up on a year since my first post in these pages. I've learned a lot here, and I hope you will too. Best of luck.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 11-03-2016, 01:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 296.90 MB
I love vintage models. I really like the not-bright colors. I would love to have high quality prints/scans of all the mechanical models. However, even at the very good prices for Castle in the Air's reproductions, they are out of my reach.

Sometimes when I find online scans such as those from Gallica, I will save them as pdf, then I use PDF Viewer to convert them to images at a higher resolution. My results vary hugely depending on a variety of factors, particularly the quality of the original image. I would build more models, but I have nowhere to store them, so mostly I love looking at everyone's adventures here.

Thumb Dog, thank you for sharing all your wonderful builds. Great vintage models, great builds.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, altomentis. It's always good to hear from other vintage paper model devotees. I also have a number of scans from Gallica in my "someday" file. Some of them are quite strange, such as ormolu clocks and even a Pellerin sheet showing the assassination of French General Jean-Baptiste Kleber in Cairo in 1800. I like collecting paper models of subjects that would never be produced in any other media.

I've been building quite a few paper models lately, mostly to illustrate my Spanish Paper Models as Propaganda thread. I can't find a place to keep them all either, so after I photograph them, I've been giving some away. For me, the joy of paper modeling is in the research, building and sharing the finished model on this forum. I know other readers of this sub-forum would like to see your work, so maybe you can build and photograph your projects and post them here. And if you can't find room to store your finished models, well, just set them free. I mean, it's only paper...

Good luck,

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Google Adsense

Tags
model, models, parts, sous-marin, pellerin, torpedoes, ink, air, original, problem, simple, page, marked, submarine, firm, form, vintage, luck, site, #9200, bonder, spray, visit, worth, display