PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 02-10-2017, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I'll add my thanks for a model thread that has been a model of what a thread can be at its best --entertaining, informative, and with the option for participation. I'm looking forward to your next adventure.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

Thanks so much for your supportive comments. Here is one of the missing scans. I'm still trying to work past the security token for the Avion de Caza.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-pieza-de-artilleria-2-.jpg  
Old 02-11-2017, 02:23 PM

Hi All,

Here's the Caudron Avion de Caza. I had to use a screen grab to push it through the security token problem. I should of thought of it before.

And yes, Vermin King, I also thought of a group photograph but there are other things on the bench right now. You know how it goes.

Thanks all.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-avion-de-caza-sg.jpg  
Old 02-12-2017, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Quote:
...and it’s time to bring it to a close...

Oh, no! Say it ain't so!

There is always a tingle of excitement when I see a new post show up in this thread. This is where I send people who express an interest in getting into this hobby.

Thank you for a wonderful journey.

--jeff
Old 02-12-2017, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
As a recent emigrant to Spain I have found this thread fascinating. The ships have been amazing - I have built most of them. Please can we keep going in case more gems turn up?
Google Adsense
Old 02-15-2017, 02:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
Just wanted to add how much of a pleasure it's been to see these old models built and built so well. The historical information was a real plus and brought both the models and the world they came from alive.

The Guerra Civil was a terrible tragedy both for Spain and ultimately the world as it was the proving ground for the nativist and anti-democratic forces at work in Europe at that time.

These models, modest as they are, are a reminder of a conflict we seem to be on the verge of again and which we forget at our peril.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.11 MB
I see I'm late to the game here, but these are super interesting to me. As for the dates of the company's existence, I wouldn't assume that the Zaragoza model puts it out of 1936. Zaragoza at the time was the "2nd city of anarchism" after Barcelona, where many of the militia members depicted in the scene would have originated. In those first days, Zaragoza was the primary target of the anarchist columns of Catalunya. The Durruti Column came quite close, I believe within 30 km, to reaching Zaragoza within the first weeks of fighting, before being held back by pro-state "advisors," and shortages of supplies and equipment. Hindsights tells us they could have taken the city, which was poorly defended, then and there, and delaying a few months gave the defenders the time they needed to make it an impossible task.

When I look at this model, I see the same propaganda value as all the slogans "¡A Zaragoza!" written on the column's trucks and tanks. Similar to Mallorca, I would guess the model to be propaganda aimed to inspire young recruits by predicting a bold victory, and they were probably both produced that summer, when there was so much hope, rather than after the defeats. Just my two cents.
Are there any more examples from this company beyond the 4 you found? Thanks so much for this amazing research! Its been a joy to look through, and I can't wait to try out these 4.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.11 MB
Sorry, I was attempting to comment on the posts specifically about the 4 Industrias Gráficas Offset pieces. Thanks again
Old 11-23-2019, 10:24 AM

Hi All,

And hi, makhno1918. Thanks for your comments on my old thread. It's coming up on three years since I first started it and I'm happy to see that there is still some interest.

As for the confusion about the model's date of publication, I guess all we can do is guess, as there is no descriptive text embedded in the models. Whether the model represents your description of the attack on Zaragoza in the early days of the war, or the more widely known second attack a year later in August/September, 1937, I cannot say.

As to your question about other models published by Industrias Gráficas Offset, I'm sorry to say I can't answer that either. As mentioned in my thread, the models came from the collections of Tom Greensfelder and Francesc ďA López Sala. Francesc lives in Barcelona and has the best access to other IGO models. However, when I made the request to Tom and Francesc to include more war by models by this publisher, none were forthcoming. That's not to say others weren't published, it's just to say we didn't discover any for the thread.

To continue on the theme, I recently saw an episode of the television show, Mysteries of the Abandoned, on the SCI network. In the Season 3, Episode 6 show, they discussed the long abandoned city of Belchite, Spain, where the Republican troops stalled on their advance to Zaragoza. The city was destroyed and never rebuilt after the war, and remains a memorial to the brutal Spanish Civil War. The show is worth a look.

Thanks again for your interest in all this. I hope I had some answers for you.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 11-23-2019, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Such beautiful models! And so well made, too.
Google Adsense

Tags
models, paper, war, model, civil, spanish, simple, series, flags, thread, number, red, propaganda, flag, galvez, show, shown, granada, built, 2-dimentional, nationalists, drawing, pattern, wars, symbols