PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 02-21-2016, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
Thumb Dog... it's so great to see these models so beautifully constructed especially as the vintage models present, as you've said, a unique set of challenges in fit and sequence. I've had this set for some time so I'd be happy to provide you with better scans if you still need them.

There's also a second series by Galvez, Escenas del Frente, of which I have four and present here a build I did awhile back of the first one, Bombardo de Fortificaciones, which as far as I can tell looks more like an attack on a village.

I don't know if you're familiar with Francesc Lopez Sala, a great paper model collector in Barcelona. There was an exhibition of his paper models from the Spanish Civil War in Barcelona in 2009. I've attached the cover of the catalog and another Shirley Temple (she was very popular with the fascists for some reason).

Here are a few YouTubes about the exhibition (the second features Francesc):

Attached Thumbnails
Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_4300.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_4306.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_4307.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-retallables-catalog.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-shirley.jpg  

Old 02-21-2016, 05:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your kind words and shared interest in this rather obscure subject. At this time, I don’t need any new scans of the Galvez models, but if I do need an image for an upcoming post, I’ll remember your generous offer.

I have seen some images from the Escenas del Frente series, and I am attaching my scan of Number 1, the well-built diorama seen in your post. I have a photograph of Number 2, unbuildable because the shot is too oblique. I have yet to see any other dioramas in this series. How many were there, I wonder? Galvez also drew some paper dolls, both boys and girls, and as they are outfitted with Nationalist military uniforms, I hope to include some of these in an upcoming post.

I have seen the cover of Sala’s Retallables catalog, and one or two other books about the subject. I found it surprising that there is so much interest in Spain about these 80 year old bits of ephemera. That’s good for us, as other collectors are prompted to put their images on the internet.

Tom, would you please post the links to the YouTube videos as some of us are leery of Adobe Flash. Thanks.

As I said in my first post, I’m no expert in this subject, and I’m simply using the pictorial and written information I find to put together a narrative that makes sense to me. If anyone finds fault with my reasoning or has something to add, I and the readers of this thread would like to hear from you.

I am currently working on Spanish Civil War paper models from the publisher with the memorable name, Recortables Baby. There is plenty more to this bit of paper modeling history.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-costales-0.jpg  
Old 02-21-2016, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 30.73 MB
Thumb Dog,
Absolutely fascinating. I have read a large amount on the Spanish Civil war and the thought that paper models would be produced during a savage conflict is very interesting.
Do you know if the company was in the Republican or Nationalist areas of occupation when these would have been produced?
Also, all of the items appear as caricatures of what a type of ship, aircraft or vehicle could look like, rather than on a real item. for instance the trimotor is neither a Caproni or Junkers 52 or Ford Trimotor, but appears to have Nationalist markings (apart from a Republican rudder). The airfield appears to be pre-civil war Republican? As for the Zeppelin????
Thank you also for the link to the Russian F-13, a closer representation of the real aircraft.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:07 PM

Hi Tingmissartoq,

Who doesn’t love the Lockheed Sirius?

The series of Costales models in my earlier posts were published in Granada, in south central Spain. It appears that from the beginning of the war, Granada was a stronghold of the Nationalists, so the 1938 models were published under the watchful eye of the Fascists.

I agree with the caricatures character of the models. Look again at the trimotor rudder…there is a faint yellow-orange stripe in there. I thought the real screw-up was the red blazes on the wings of the fighter, a common Republican recognition marking.

I agree about the airfield, and the Zeppelin? That’s where the propaganda comes in.

I’ve always liked Lindbergh’s quote about Anne on their Great Circle voyages, “She’s not a passenger, she’s crew.”

Thanks for reading.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 02-22-2016, 06:36 PM

Thumb Dog, as far as I know there are only four Escenas del Frente. Number 3 is rather strange... it has what appears to be three dreadnoughts attacking a full-masted old school pirate ship. I can't imagine anything like that really happening.

I'm glad you enjoyed my build of Number 1... unfortunately it hasn't held up so well over time and the vertical sheets have warped. One of the challenges with the old models. If you put them on a sheet that's stiff enough to pass the test of time, it makes cutting the little details very difficult.

Here are the links to the videos you asked for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLAuoyifIPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyYVk-twEHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_SzdffTfj8

Let me know if you'd like me to put the series in the downloads section.
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-escenas-del-frente1sm.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-escenas-del-frente2sm.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-escenas-del-frente3sm.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-escenas-del-frente4sm.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-22-2016, 09:08 PM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the YouTube links and the four Galvez, “Scenes from the Front.” All very interesting. Aside from my further education into the world of paper modeling, it appears I am learning a little Spanish, too. I can build suitable dioramas from the images you provided, but others might want the larger images available to them in the Downloads section. Thanks again.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 02-23-2016, 07:34 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Tom, you're more than welcome to put these models in the Downloads section. Be sure and follow the directions.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:05 PM

Elliot: just uploaded the 300 dpi sheets to the Downloads section under "Dioramas and Bases."

Thumb Dog: I would download and use these if you haven't started already, I think they'll make for a better printout.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:39 PM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the uploads of the four dioramas. I'm building my last Recortables Baby model, and after they are finished, I'll build the Galvez quartet. I don't anticipate any fit problems with the dioramas, but vintage models always seem to offer up some vintage challenges.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 02-26-2016, 03:00 PM

Thumb Dog: I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle the dioramas. I printed them out on the 45 lb Canon Matte Photo Paper which wasn't heavy enough I think.

The Baby models are very nice... unusual coloration and design. If you have any interest in the Graficas Reunidas models by Romero de Cidon, let me know.
Google Adsense

Tags
models, paper, war, model, civil, spanish, simple, series, flags, thread, number, red, propaganda, flag, galvez, show, shown, granada, built, 2-dimentional, nationalists, drawing, pattern, wars, symbols