Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 04-19-2016, 10:05 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Fully agree!
Old 04-21-2016, 08:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

Thanks to Art Deco and Kevin WS for their interest in, and kind comments about this thread. It’s been an interesting trip down research road. I’ve learned quite a bit about this subject and I’ve enjoyed meeting like-minded people from around the world. For example, Art Deco wrote from Shanghai, China, and Kevin WS clicked Post Quick Reply from South Africa. Amazing.

While many of the paper models produced during the Spanish Civil War were directed towards boys and their fathers, the art of propaganda is pervasive. Women and their daughters were targets too, as evidenced by this collection of paper dolls. In some contexts, the word recortables refers specifically to paper dolls. A centuries-old hobby, collecting and playing with paper dolls remains popular to this day. I recently sent my mother a few sheets of paper dolls that portray the cast of the American television series, Mad Men. I’ve also seen a set based on TV’s Breaking Bad.

Usually, the paper dolls themselves are representative of the young girls who play with them. Cherubic faces above chubby arms and legs are the norm. The clothing is brightly colored and fashionable, teaching the subtle lessons of feminine allure. But the paper dolls seen here have a different purpose altogether. These deal with adult issues, in an adult way. The four pages below are the creations of our old friend Galvez from Construcciones Costales. Here, the pages are titled Recortables Costales and feature the Ropero, or Wardrobe, of four children… Mariquita, Rosita, Pelin, and Pepin.

The costumes for the girls are geared toward service. Each page has a key that describes each ensemble. Mariquita’s three outfits are a General Uniform, a dress suitable for City or Country wear, and the last is a costume for Social Aid work. Rosita’s first two outfits will kit her out for work as either a Nurse or a Canteen Manageress. While her black formal dress is labeled Madrina, to be worn by either a God Mother or Maid of Honor, the diploma she holds suggests her dress is a Graduation Gown. Note the Nationalist Yoke and Arrows device seen on two of Mariquita’s outfits and the red, yellow, red flag held by Rosita. All four of these Galvez paper dolls owe allegiance to the Nationalist, or Fascist cause.

The young boys are all set for careers in the military. Pelin can choose from his Short Summer Uniform, his Air Force Uniform or his Fatigues. His last uniform includes a fez, presumably for duty in North Africa. Note the red raguly “Cross of Burgundy” on the pocket of Pelin’s summer shirt indicating his ties with the political movement known as the Carlists. This ancient heraldic cross still appears on the coat of arms of the Spanish Royal Family. As for Pepin, depending on his orders for the day, he can be seen in the uniform of either his Youth Group, Army Artillery or the Spanish Navy. Does anyone know the book that Pepin is holding?

While not the usual paper models we are used to seeing, these paper dolls helped to educate Spain’s girls and mothers alike in the importance of civil and military service. They are meant to engender dedication to the cause and personal sacrifice for the cause. They taught young girls that there were more important things in the world than playing at dolls.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-el-ropero-no.-1.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-el-ropero-2-copy.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-el-ropero-3-copy.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-el-ropero-4-copy.jpg  
Old 04-22-2016, 10:16 AM

Hi All,

Today I’m including a few more pages of paper dolls from the Spanish Civil War era. I understand these paper toys won’t hold much interest for many of my fellow card modelers, but they are worth showing to illustrate the far reach of factional propaganda. These toys were created to influence the hearts and minds of the most innocent members of society…young girls. They are therefore important documents in the art of persuasion.

First is Paquito al Servicio de Espana, or Paquito to the Service of Spain. Published by La Tijera, a prolific publisher of paper soldiers, the page shows Paquito in his skivvies ready to choose his attire for the day. His uniforms are beautifully drawn, far better than those drawn by Galvez in the last post. Armed to the teeth, Paquito carries a scaled-down bolt action rifle, and depending on his uniform, he wears leather cartridge boxes and a dirk at his side. His Roman salute and Yoke and Arrows insignia mark this 10 year old boy as a Nationalist warrior.

Second up is Pocholo to the Service of Spain. This soccer-playing soldier can choose between his rifle and pistola. His fatigues and parade uniform are common enough, but I do not understand the meaning of his white gown. With rifle in hand, it must be related to his military service, but I don’t see the connection.

And now for the star of the show, Shirley Temple. We have seen her first image before, but it is worth repeating here just for the shock value. The fascist salute coming from America’ Sweetheart is still hard to take, 80 years on. Another paper doll of the same sort has come to light, only this time Shirley is in the Spanish Navy. Again published by La Tijera, or The Scissors, our Shirley can choose among a number of frilly and poofy dresses, or she can be a swab on the deck of a battlecruiser for a day. Again, a disturbing image. The remainder of the paper dolls show Shirley in a better light, and are similar to the paper toys being published in America at the time. A true international star, Shirley Temple will be forever remembered as a talented child entertainer, and a great American patriot.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-la-tijera-7.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-pocholo-2.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-shirley-temple.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-la-tijera-9.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-shirley-t-1.jpg  

Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-shirley-t-2.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-shirley-t-3.jpg  
Old 04-22-2016, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
Ah, Thumb Dog, you beat me to it. I was going to upload these two Shirley Temple cutouts. The missing one shows her in service as a nurse, but also with a yellow dress sporting the cap and badge of the fascists.

I wonder if the cape is meant to be the one worn by the "regulares" here in historical and contemporary photos?

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-shirley-t_a.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-shirley-t_b.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-soldiers-capes-3.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-soldiers-capes.jpg  
Old 04-22-2016, 05:53 PM

Hi Tom,

Good find on the yellow-dress Shirley Temple cutout. Her pirated image in these old sheets always leaves me quietly shaking my head.

And I had never seen or heard of the Regulares before. The third uniform on Pelin's page is listed as Regular, but I couldn't find a translation for the word. I substituted fatigues, but it seems to be more specific than that.

The color photo of the parade clearly shows the white and blue cloak of the unit, and I believe I also see the hoods bunched up behind their necks. The leather straps that attach to their belts come in the form of suspenders, bandoliers and Sam Brown Belts. Their insignia are a mixed bag, too. There are crescents on each fez and brooch, but two soldiers are wearing decorations in the shape of a cross. Not the sharpest unit in the land, but they do need more investigation.

Thanks for the information.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Google Adsense
Old 06-11-2016, 04:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.48 MB
This is one of the best threads I ever seen here! A lot of little treasures! The work of Thumb Dog is magistral! Always baching here for more. Thanks!

Mauther
Old 06-11-2016, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Yes Mauther! This thread is a historical gem. Many thanks for the images and background information, Thumb Dog.

Don
Old 06-13-2016, 05:27 PM

Hi All,

Many thanks to mauther and Don Boose for your continuing interest in my Spanish Propaganda Models thread. High praise, indeed.

Sorry I haven’t posted lately, but many things need attention around here before the hot-heat sets in. Recently, my bench was cleared of the springtime projects, and I’m finally building 80 year old Spanish models again. You’d think that these relatively simple models would go together quickly, but problems with fit, registration and color saturation need to be tweaked on the computer before the build can begin. I hope to start posting again in the next few weeks.

Special thanks go to mauther from myself, the members of this forum and the collectors and builders in the paper model community. We’ve been following your website for years, and delight in the wide variety of models you present to us. You make an important contribution to the enjoyment of our interesting hobby. Thank you.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 07-01-2016, 07:30 AM

Hi All,

Well, I finally cleared my bench of adult responsibilities and I’ve returned to building my small arsenal of Spanish Civil War paper models. After building enough to justify breaking out the lights and camera, it’s time to post some new/old card models.

The attached photographs show my build of the Recortables Baby Submarino, Serie C No. 38. After I started my collection of Baby military models, I naturally wanted to build them all, but I couldn’t find a copy of this interesting boat. Papermodelers friend Tom Greensfelder knew I was looking for the sub, and he graciously contacted a well-known collector from across the water. So, after the proper electrons had been exchanged, I happily received my excellent copy of the Baby Submarino from the collection of Francesc d’A López Sala of Barcelona, Spain. Francesc’s blog, “Salaludica Imagery Since 1958” is a must see. Here is the address: https://salaludica1948.wordpress.com

The first picture I saw of the Submarino was a tiny thumbnail photo. From this evidence, I assumed the model was a PT boat or similar craft, as the superstructure was seated well behind the boat’s center of gravity, something not seen on small submarines. The placement of the conning tower in this unbalanced position is just the start of the fanciful details found aboard this Spanish sub.

A ram bow. On a submarine. This is a very bad idea.

Also, portholes. Lots of portholes. Presumably with screens to keep the bugs out.

A glance at the back of the conning tower will reveal two large rectangular windows and a rectangular door. It looks like the designer was working from plans of a tug boat and a submarine that both got wet and stuck together.

Lastly, the rudder above the waterline looks out of place, too. Actually, I’ll give the model’s designer a break on this one. Some early series U-boats carried two rudders, one below and one above the waterline. The most famous of these boats was the U-9, which famously sank the antiquated British Cruisers Aboukir, Hogue and Cressy on 22 September, 1914. All three sinkings took place within 90 minutes. It seems the twin-rudder approach worked on that awful day.

All the anachronisms aside, I really enjoyed building this model and am happy to have it in my collection. While on the computer, I made a number of changes to the drawing before the construction began. I removed the numerous dashed fold lines on the hull’s bow and stern, and the similar lines at the front of the conning tower. This really cleans up the finished model. I added brass railings by sandwiching thin brass rods between the folded railing stancions, and then cut away the negative spaces. I cut out a porthole from a waste sheet so I could put a lens at the top of the periscope. A little black thread, stiffened with Elmer’s glue, finished the boat.

In keeping with the propaganda angle of this thread, there’s an interesting question regarding the red-yellow-red ensign flying at the stern of the Submarino. Earlier Recortables Baby models were seen with Red-Yellow-Purple Republican flags, the most notable being the mounted horsemen seen in the Caballeria or Cavalry paper soldier models seen here last April 5th. Little is known about the business side of Recortables Baby, and its history remains foggy. It is not completely clear when the change of colors took place, but it seems one or both of the following may have happened…

At the end of the war, the flag color was changed on all Recortables Baby’s product to reflect the red-yellow-red Nationalist victory. This may have involved going so far as to change the colors on previously published materials. The altered banners were thought of as “recomposed flags” and these pages may have been sold in Spain into 1942.

And this, a speculative possibility with no evidence to support it other than seeing two separate copies of the same model with different colored flags, is that for a time the models were printed side by side, showing either the Republican or Nationalist flag. Then the finished product would have been carefully shipped to the proper locale so as not to offend potential customers. Whatever the case, it appears that the Recortables Baby line was willing to play it down the middle to stay in business and not run afoul of either side.

Many thanks go to Francesc d’A López Sala of Barcelona and Tom Greensfelder of Chicago for their time and efforts.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_3691.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_3631.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_3694.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_3633.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-recortables-baby-submarino.jpg  

Old 07-01-2016, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
This may not have been so far-fetched as it seems today. I was watching a PBS show on the German U-21, and it had a bit of U-boat history. Up through the beginning of WWII, U-boats mostly traveled at the surface with diesel engines, only diving for short times (when the diesel engines couldn't be run). Some of the early U-boats looked rather ship-like and had all kinds of deck clutter. I don't doubt that this model was 'fanciful', but it probably wasn't that out of line for a pre-WWII submarine. They were still trying to figure out what would make a successful sub at the time.

EDIT: Yes, one PBS documentary does not make me an expert...
Google Adsense

Tags
models, paper, war, model, civil, spanish, simple, series, flags, thread, number, red, propaganda, flag, galvez, show, shown, granada, built, 2-dimentional, nationalists, drawing, pattern, wars, symbols