PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 09-22-2016, 08:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
That Motor Diesel model looks real good.
Nurse Diesel at the end was kind of scary.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 41.75 MB
miss this plate
Red Digital de Colecciones de Museos de España - Visor de imagenes
Old 09-23-2016, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

Thanks SCEtoAUX, for being on time with your complementary complements. You get Fruit Cup.

And thanks Patricia for keeping an eye on my thread. From now on, in an effort to post ALL the pages the first time around, I'll try posting after I'm fully awake. Merci.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 09-28-2016, 06:42 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Here is a link to 13 vintage Instrumentos de Guerros kits all in one album. All are cleaned up on nice, bright white backgrounds. https://vk.com/album-76215971_236636275
Old 09-28-2016, 08:14 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Nice find Don! Thanks for the link.
Google Adsense
Old 09-28-2016, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 440.50 MB
Very interesting! Thanks for the history lesson!
Old 09-29-2016, 08:10 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for the link, Don, and thanks AnnMcmillin for your interest, too.

Every railfan knows the unmistakable profile of the famous Crocodile locomotive, with its distinctive sloping ends bracketing the centrally located engineer’s cab. The Crocodile is a classic heavy-hauler that was first developed in Switzerland nearly a century ago. Properly known as the SBB Ce 6/8 II and III classes, the “Krokodil” was designed to pull heavy freight trains up, down and around the mountain passes through the Swiss countryside. The locomotive is articulated, with both noses free to swing independently of the center cab so that tighter curves can be negotiated, a vital capability for mountain railroading.

Until now, even though I’ve always wanted one, I had never owned a model of a Crocodile, as my model railroading days focused on American prototypes. Also, it seems that models of the Crocodile always cost a bit more than anything else in the catalog. Vintage tinplate models produced by the German firm of Marklin command many thousands of dollars and are highly prized. Fortunately, my paper Crocodile was a gift from the collection of Tom Greensfelder. Tom’s thoughtfulness has saved me from entering into endless debt and never ending explanations. Many thanks.

Published by Graficas Reunidas of Madrid, and drawn by our old friend by A. Romero de Cidon, the model is harder to build than it first appears. The undercarriage and twin snouts were easy enough, but the cab presented problems. I found that the attached roof would not stretch over the width of the cab to meet up with the other side. After two tries, I realized printing out a separate roof that was enlarged by five percent would span the scale cab without trouble.

On my Crocodile, most of the three-dimensional detail will be found on the cab’s rounded roof. I had some problems assembling the hand-drawn pantographs, so I mirrored them and discovered that one was drawn slightly smaller than the other. Only after I finished them did I remember that electric locomotives operate with only one pan extended…usually the trailing pantograph. But as no depressed pantograph was included in the model, I glued both finished pans in place. At least with both pantographs extended, they match the inaccurate picture on the model’s original sheet.

The seven electrical insulators on the roof were not part of the artist’s original plan. They were intended to be the springs for the buffers. I used short sections of dowel for the springs and used the drawn parts to represent the electrical gizmos. Research seems to indicate that each of the 52 classic Crocodiles built had its own unique array of electrical what-nots on the cab roof, and my array is pure conjecture.

Published between 1936 and ’37, the finished paper model is the first railroad subject seen in this thread. My Crocodile seems a little lonely all by itself, but Graficas Reunidas also published a yellow tank car and a short open gondola to go with the Croc. I’ll send along some photographs and descriptions when these join my collection.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_4435.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_4432.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_4440.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-img_4438.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-locomotora-electrica.jpg  

Old 09-29-2016, 11:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
What approximate scale did this turn out to be of the Locomotora Electrica? I just had this thought of throwing this on the carriage of an engine on my old model railway, just as a lark
Old 09-30-2016, 07:40 AM

Hi All,

And hi, VK. My finished Crocodile measures 9 7/16" (9.437") from buffer to buffer. Using a prototype measurement of 63' 10 1/8" (63' 10.125") my model comes in at 1/81.18 scale. But that measurement does not reflect the size of a model built from an original print of the model. When I receive a scan, I often enlarge it by breaking it into three, four or more separate pages. I'm attaching three pages for the Crocodile. These are jpgs from the original scan, and while they have been color enhanced, they have not been cleaned up. These are not my original working pages, but they are in my original scale. My working pages become messed up as I add overlays to pages for the parts I need, therefore my working pages would not be of any use to you. You'll have to do your own cleanup and math to get the model you are after. I hope this helps out.

If you transfer this model to another collector, please mention it comes form the collection of Tom Greensfelder. Thanks.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-vks-crocodile-1.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-vks-crocodile-2.jpg   Paper Models as Propaganda During the Spanish Civil War-vks-crocodile-3.jpg  
Old 09-30-2016, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Thanks. I've not done a paper shell on a train before, but I've seen several folks do it. So I was a bit curious. With the odd wheel arrangement, I think the best bet would be to place the body on the chassis so that the wheels of the paper model just clear the tracks. I'm certainly not thinking of making it articulated. Yowsah, that would be a nightmare
Google Adsense

Tags
models, paper, war, model, civil, spanish, simple, series, flags, thread, number, red, propaganda, flag, galvez, show, shown, granada, built, 2-dimentional, nationalists, drawing, pattern, wars, symbols