PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 08-24-2016, 09:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi Rockpaperscissor,

Thank you. I'm forever amazed at the level of art and technique found here at Papermodelers, yourself included. I've been very lucky in finding interested and interesting friends in this forum who have helped me gather beautiful scans of beautiful paper models.

I should have joined sooner.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 08-25-2016, 12:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
That's news to me, Forrest. I've been Google searching for an image of the roundel as you described it, but I've come up empty.
There aren't many that I've found. Original info I had was in books in the 1970s, 1980s, and early 1990s. I stopped doing military models in early 2000s.
Look for info on M2 Medium and on exercises held in southeast US before WW2. Louisiana I think was main area.
Photo of M2 Medium in US museum in 2010 with roundel colors
Military Vehicle Photos - Medium Tank M2
Edit: saw this mentioned, if you have sixty bucks for a book, look up "Organization and Markings of United States Army Armored Units 1918-1941" by Charles Lemons.
Allied WWII AFV Discussion Group: insignia on early US tanks
Edit2 - ah, a paper model showing that insignia
M1A1 Patton's Light Tank
Now, what I don't know is what was used and for how long before that roundel was used; or what date that roundel was approved for use. That is long gone from my memory.

Last edited by southwestforests; 08-25-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good info!

Don
Old 08-25-2016, 06:07 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thanks for the education, Forrest. I've previously downloaded all of ModelPerry's free 1/48 early US armor model kits, and now I have a hankerin' to build one of them next, just so I can use that roundel.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Happy to assist This probably falls beyond the vintage model period --> As far as the "normal" roundel colors, pretty sure remember they were used on tops of at least some US vehicles in the Torch landings, or after, in North Africa; and I think without the red. At one time I had some modern reprints of period manuals on that. Ohh, who was the publisher? Are they still in business?
UK vehicles could have RAF style roundel on turret roof, engine deck, truck tops, it kinda depended. Guess it also 'kinda depended' how far US troops got with the task too.
somwehre in a book was a photo of either a M3 Lee or M3 Grant on test in North Africa in overall sand with blue and white stars on turret sides.
At some point US went to white stars without blue. And there were yellow stars for a period.
Later in WW2 US had orange fabric panels which could be laid out. Remember seeing pics of US TD's M10, M18, M36, forgotten which, which showed panel and it was noted in photo caption.
I don't know the state of the armor hobby now but at the time I was it seemed that air recognition markings for US were an under-appreciated subject. Since most of my models were 1/72 scale for miniatures games, having things on vehicle tops made for more visually appealing models, at least in my opinion.

Edit - don't know for sure the roundel colors on the M3 Lee here part way down page Rnd 1 Grp 2 - M3 Lee/Grant (USA) vs M4 Sherman (USA) - Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History what I do know is that years of discussion on early railroad groups of black and white photography, with input from museum professionals, have shown that determining hues from B&W photos is imprecise at best.

Edit 2 - booklet Squadron Signal [Armor In Action] 2033 M3 Lee-Grant has color painting of Lee with red roundels.

Last edited by southwestforests; 08-25-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-25-2016, 05:16 PM

This is turning into a very informative thread, even though we are getting away from the subject of your Rigby tank, Don.

On the wall of my office at the U.S. Army War College is the print donated by a class of 2013. It illustrates the initial landing in North Africa in November 1942 and features an M3 light tanks with the yellow star and bar markings.

Don (too)
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Rigby tank-usawc_print_playball-m3-light-tank.jpg  
Old 08-25-2016, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
Pink and green camo? Where were they trying to hide, in a bubble gum factory?
Old 08-25-2016, 05:50 PM

During WWII, I was given a book called Fighting Airplanes. The colorful illustrations convinced me that Vickers Wellingtons were painted purple and green.

Don
Old 08-26-2016, 08:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 68.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
It's a good introductory paper model for a child who might like the bright colors - the Ringling Brothers were obviously the originators of the camouflage pattern .
Sort of a Pink Panzer.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Maybe its like they used to do with cars and its the May colors. For those not familiar with that concept it used to be that when spring rolled around and to do something to get customers into the showroom when the models had already been out for 6 months, they came up with the idea of introducing some new colors and trim. They usually tended to be bright and floral, thus May colors.
Google Adsense