PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 08-23-2016, 08:48 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Vintage Rigby tank

This simple tank is part of Rigby's "Modern Marvels" series of models that appeared in the Sunday Comics section of American newspapers back in the day. This one is dated December 22, 1940. cdavenport's 3 page PDF scan of the kit is available in the download section of the forum. In addition to the tank, the file includes a rail gun and a light cruiser.

It provides a fun, nostalgic afternoon build. It's a good introductory paper model for a child who might like the bright colors - the Ringling Brothers were obviously the originators of the camouflage pattern . The wheels are laminated to 1mm cardboard, and the axles are cut from full diameter Q-tip shafts. The machine guns are made from the inner core of the same shafts. I almost corrected the upside down roundels, but then I decided to just build the model as designed.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Rigby tank-rigbytank1.jpg   Vintage Rigby tank-rigbytank2.jpg   Vintage Rigby tank-rigbytank3.jpg   Vintage Rigby tank-rigbytank4.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-23-2016, 09:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I remember this tank! This is the best build I have ever seen of the land battleship.

Don (too)
Old 08-23-2016, 09:23 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Nice build there Don!
Old 08-23-2016, 07:29 PM

Thanks fellas. Every once in a while I like to build a simple and quick kit - satisfies my need for instant gratification, I guess.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
As you may recall, Don, four-and-a-half years ago, I started building a "simple and quick" vintage decoupage model of a Japanese Type 95 light tank. Then I got to trying to improve it. Vintage Toy Military Models - Decoupages

It is still a work-in-progress, although I have every hope of someday finishing it.

Cheers,

Don
Google Adsense
Old 08-23-2016, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Actually it's more the colors than the top-bottom on the roundels which need to be corrected: pre WW2 armored corps roundel colors were the reverse of air corps roundels. armor roundels were blue in center with red outside.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
I concur. Sometimes the simplest models make for the most entertaining builds. Well done.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
It is still a work-in-progress, although I have every hope of someday finishing it.
I hope you finish it Don, it was really coming along nicely. Your hand drawn plans to enhance the suspension were inspired, and will make a huge difference.

Quote:
Actually it's more the colors than the top-bottom on the roundels which need to be corrected: pre WW2 armored corps roundel colors were the reverse of air corps roundels. armor roundels were blue in center with red outside.
That's news to me, Forrest. I've been Google searching for an image of the roundel as you described it, but I've come up empty.

Thanks for your comment, Tom. I tend to run out of gas on longer term builds, and will throw in a quickie so I feel like I've accomplished something.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi Rockpaperscissor,

I, too, like your fresh tank. The pink and green camo reminds me of my uncle's golf togs. Whenever I encounter a tab and slot paper model I want to build, I glue it up tight, just as you did.

Treat 'em Rough!

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Rigby tank-treat-em-rough.jpg  
Old 08-24-2016, 06:04 PM

Thanks for your comment, Thumb Dog. I've built several vintage models over the years, but they pale in comparison to your beautiful pieces. I'll just have to try harder!
Google Adsense