PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 12-26-2016, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Moon Palace

Hello!

This is my build of the vintage "Moon Palace" that Tom Greensfelder kindly shared with us
in post #17 of this other thread: familie journal christmas papertoy

For this build I used my own color-corrected version which you can find on post #28 of the above link.

I printed the kit on 160gsm cardstock, at double letter size (11X17 inches - 28X43 cm).

The final size of the kit once built at this scale is about 12X12 inches (32X32 cm).

This is a vintage kit from 1930. Some details are not so good, and there are a couple of fitting issues.
However, I believe they add some character to the model.

One word of warning:
The big crescents need to be laminated on a sturdy cardstock.
That big moon needs to be at least 1mm or 1.5mm thick in order to hold shape.

Otherwise, once you put the thread on the points of the moon to hang it
the weight of the palace will make it bend oddly.

I didn't realize that until it was too late, and had to change the way it is hung.
That's why I used some nylon thread anchored on the points you see in my photos.

But if you use a proper material sandwiched between the crescents, you will be able to
use the suggested anchor points for the thread without problem.
That will also help the palace to stay more vertical.

Now.. on to the photos.

Close-ups of the Palace's modules:

The instructions for this part may be not so clear.
It is a terrace with verandah

Here's a photo:

I made the mistake of assembling the whole structure before attaching its base to the Moon.
Beware that you should glue first the yellow base to the moon as per the instructions given in the kit
and then afterwards build up the rest of the tower.

Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Moon Palace-moon_palace_01.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_02.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_03.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_04.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_05.jpg  

Moon Palace-moon_palace_06.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_07.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_08.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_08_1.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_09.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-26-2016, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks good.
I am slowly working on the same model.

I printed the crescents on some cardstock at first and noticed like you that they did not seem very sturdy even when laminated together so I reprinted them on some stiff Bristol board. Going to use those instead.

Did you notice that the slots to put the building bases on the crescent did not seem long enough? I cut a little bit down on the lines between the lettered sections on the crescent so the base of the building would slide far enough down to get the two tabs on each lettered section on the crescent to line up with the top of the bulding base that gets glued to the crescent. There is a drawing in the instructions that shows those bent out tabs lining up that way.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Did you notice that the slots to put the building bases on the crescent did not seem long enough?
Specially on the base structures of sections "A" and "B". Not so much on "C" and "D".
Those slots certainly need to be adjusted. Instead of cutting on the crescent
I lengthened the slots on the base structures. The result is basically the same

One thing I found strange is that there were no small crescent moons for the lower towers in "C", or the smaller houses in "D"
although the original drawings do show pins on top of them. If you have spare small moons they could be added there with great effect.

Looking forward to your finished model

Old 12-26-2016, 09:52 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
That is a really cool model, and a nice, neat build on your part. Quite precise for a hand drawn vintage kit, too. The coloring is garish, but the use of primary colors seems to have been the standard of the time. Well done!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
Rubén: really nice build. It's a tricky model for sure. I meet with a bunch of guys once a month and every once in awhile they agree to build some paper models. That's Ross, Scott and Jim holding some Epinal models in the first picture. In the second one you can see Steve on the left starting on the Man in the Moon Castle.

He didn't manage to finish it that evening but completed it later. The third picture is the finished Castle in his studio.

He found that it worked best if you laminated the two sides of the moon to a piece of mat board. Otherwise, the moon will warp and not support the castle very well. There are also a number of fit issues, as you now know.
Attached Thumbnails
Moon Palace-ross-scott-jim.jpg   Moon Palace-steve-richard.jpg   Moon Palace-man-moon-castle.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-29-2016, 08:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very nice build of a wonderful vintage model! Thanks for sharing the photos!
Old 12-30-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Greensfelder View Post
Rubén: really nice build. It's a tricky model for sure. I meet with a bunch of guys once a month and every once in awhile they agree to build some paper models. That's Ross, Scott and Jim holding some Epinal models in the first picture. In the second one you can see Steve on the left starting on the Man in the Moon Castle.

He didn't manage to finish it that evening but completed it later. The third picture is the finished Castle in his studio.

He found that it worked best if you laminated the two sides of the moon to a piece of mat board. Otherwise, the moon will warp and not support the castle very well. There are also a number of fit issues, as you now know.
So nice Tom! What a nice experience to share with other people.
Thanks for the photos

Old 12-31-2016, 07:49 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I was curious about what this model would like in B&W, so I played around with it in Photoshop for 15 mins or so, and came up with an updated version. I used a photo of the full moon to texture the yellow crescent, and then rendered the whole page(s) in grayscale. I haven't decided if I'll build it this way or not, but I thought I'd show you what I came up with. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Moon Palace-moon_palace_03_bw.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_04_bw.jpg  
Old 12-31-2016, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks quite noir.
Very nice.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Wonder what the full moon crescent and the original palaces would look like? Might be interesting.

Fred
Google Adsense