PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 02-18-2018, 05:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, Patricia. Thank you for your last link. Paper theaters may not be as popular here in the States as they are in Europe, but I know that any lover of vintage paper models is always happy to see any well designed and beautifully drawn model from the past, no matter what it may be. We are all anxious to see what else you might share from your Allers Familie Journal collection.

And hi, michael dazzo. Here is the address for the issue of Allers Familie Journal that contains the Strange Red Car. The model is on the last page.

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/r...l-_v.44_no.16_

From what I understand, a direct download from the address is difficult if not impossible. Enlarging the image and taking screen grabs seems to be the best way. Also, I am including my working drawings for my version of the car in the hopes they might be of some use to you. A finished model built from 8 1/2 X 11 card stock will measure 8 1/2 inches long.

All the best,

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Strange Red Car-allers-car-1-copy.jpg   Strange Red Car-allers-car-2-copy.jpg  
Old 02-19-2018, 11:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 68.81 MB
Three structures

Here are three models from the Allers Familie Journal in "N" scale. Two homes and a train station. I printed them on textured watercolor paper, so they came out a bit blurry.
Attached Thumbnails
Strange Red Car-img_0059.jpg   Strange Red Car-img_0060.jpg   Strange Red Car-img_0062.jpg   Strange Red Car-img_0063.jpg  
Old 02-19-2018, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
They actually look quite nice.

I have tried several techniques to clean up the pages.

Magic wand selection to delete the background. That works OK, but still leaves the graphics a bit dark because of the color cast from the aging process. You also have to make sure the selection does not get into the body of some graphics.

Manual color adjustment to try to get rid of the color cast. You really need to play with the adjustments during and after. That process generally leaves the final graphics more colorful and bright. I always wonder what the original looked like when it was first published.

Playing with various settings for contrast, saturation, etc.

Sometimes just plain old erasing some areas.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
thank you Thumb Dog for enlarging two parts of the strange red car! into hd!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.75 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by altomentis View Post
Patricia,

I think it should be fine to put them on flickr. Someone in the world of paper theatre fans has posted extensive pdf's of the IFJ theater models in the past. Sorry I don't have a link.
Yes it was PDF (I turn it on jpeg) if I was remember find the link on a toy theatre forum and I miss the link too.... well ,I will post it soon on "flickr".
Patricia :-)
Google Adsense
Old 02-19-2018, 12:18 PM

Hi All,

And hi, davetun. We never know when we start to build these century old paper models just how well they will fit together. Your trio of N Scale buildings look solid and straight, a testament to both the designer and the builder. In an earlier post, you rightfully mentioned the designer of many of these models, known to us only as H.C.M. Whoever that was, he or she did fast and competent work while working toward a weekly deadline.

I haven’t built these models myself, but I’m guessing you mirrored the parts for the Villa and Mansion that stick up above the roof line. And I’m always happy to see another modeler who blackens the inside of their chimneys. I always try to cover any unprinted white surfaces, and in these old models, they can really add up.

And thank you, SCEtoAUX and michael dazzo for your comments, too.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 02-19-2018, 12:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb Dog View Post

And hi, davetun. We never know when we start to build these century old paper models just how well they will fit together. Your trio of N Scale buildings look solid and straight, a testament to both the designer and the builder. In an earlier post, you rightfully mentioned the designer of many of these models, known to us only as H.C.M. Whoever that was, he or she did fast and competent work while working toward a weekly deadline.

I haven’t built these models myself, but I’m guessing you mirrored the parts for the Villa and Mansion that stick up above the roof line. And I’m always happy to see another modeler who blackens the inside of their chimneys. I always try to cover any unprinted white surfaces, and in these old models, they can really add up.

Thumb Dog
On the carriage porch he also has the texture on the tabs. A small touch that really enhances the model
Old 02-19-2018, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 68.81 MB
Thanks! Yes, I did make mirrored prints of the upper portion as it looked strange otherwise, being just white paper. The same goes for the inside of chimneys.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetun View Post
Vermin King,

You built the garage scene from this magazine a while back. It turned out looking great.
As I was exploring the site ThumbDog posted, I found one page of the model in the Volume 45 sets, but have not found the other pages yet.

So, it was in both magazines
Old 02-23-2018, 09:45 AM

Hi All,

I just wanted to post some information I received from SCEtoAUX earlier today. The designer of many of the paper models found in Allers Familie Journal and its sister publications known as H.C.M is named Hans Christian Madsen, and his bio (in English) can be found here:

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/r...hhttp%3A%2F%2F

Thanks SCEtoAUX for the link.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Google Adsense