PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 02-23-2018, 08:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Well in the drawing of the building, it had one, but it wasn't in the kit

Everything I added used textures from this model and others done by the designer HCM, whoever that was
Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
HCM - Hans Christian Madsen

and translated HCM translated

Interesting fellow.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
HCM - Hans Christian Madsen

and translated HCM translated

Interesting fellow.
Thank you, sir

I didn't realize he did the Elephant Pagoda and so many of the paper theatre pieces

Last edited by Vermin_King; 02-23-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, SCEtoAUX. Excellent find. I always like knowing the names of the old designers, and you came up with a corker. I'll copy your information and post it in my Strange Red Car thread.

Well done, and thanks.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 02-23-2018, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Youse guys is welcome.
Google Adsense
Old 02-27-2018, 12:36 PM

Sticking with the Familie Journal theme, I've been working on the Guldkaret from Illustreret Familie-Journal, with a goal of trying to make a toy of George Washington's Inauguration Carriage

You have probably seen the Guldkaret, but don't remember it by that name

I made substantial headway on cleaning it up, made it so that the sides have inner faces to avoid the whiteness, and did a test build. Fit was not good

Adjusted the files (measuring this time, rather than trusting the original designer), but it really needs to have some sort of fore-carriage between the front wheels. I think I have an idea for that.

I want to have an 18th century carriage for gamers (not overly elaborate, and easy to build) that looks good on the table. Then make a version of this for Washington's inauguration carriage, and then one of Washington's personal carriage, see attached.

Then I want to make a modelers version. Wish me luck

I wish I knew more about Washington's presidential mansion on the same page as the coach. It would make an interesting model, too
Attached Thumbnails
Allers Familie-Journal 'en Villa'-washington-coach.jpg  
Old 02-27-2018, 12:48 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Very nice. Washington's coaches would be very interesting. I was just at his Headquarters in Newburgh, NY where he and Martha lived for nearly 2 years beginning just before and lasting until after the end of hostilities. It appears that you cut out the left rear scroll work, but left the right side filler in place. Was there a reason, or just an oversight - easy to do.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:19 PM

Actually, Thank you. That means my inner textures don't look bad. Neither one was cut out since this was just a test build to check fit. I don't like the long center strip. It is a pain to glue all the tabs to one side of the vehicle. Once that is done, the other side isn't bad. But if it were the cabin as one piece, then gluing on the front piece and back piece, it would be easier.

I found another illustration of Washington on his way to New York in a children's magazine, and the top of his coach is shown as brown. Without anything else to go by, I might go with the brown in the illustration
Old 03-05-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
Very nice. Washington's coaches would be very interesting. I was just at his Headquarters in Newburgh, NY where he and Martha lived for nearly 2 years beginning just before and lasting until after the end of hostilities. It appears that you cut out the left rear scroll work, but left the right side filler in place. Was there a reason, or just an oversight - easy to do.
Well, Washington's coach might end up being as a fictional piece. Yes, you can see a reproduction at Mt. Vernon, but it doesn't really resemble the early 1800's paintings or the newspaper illustrations. His carriage was bought by one of Martha's grandsons after his death. At the Centennial celebration, Washington's coach was on display, but it is not 100% verified that it was his coach, but it could have been. That coach was parted out as souvenirs sometime later.

I might do a reproduction based on old paintings and illustrations, but even they aren't 100% in agreement. Kind of takes the fun out of it, knowing that you won't get it right, no matter what you do.

But I might go back and do more research after I do a Goshoguruma for another forum this month.

On the other hand, John is doing up the cream-colored carriage really nice, http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/616921-post113.html
Old 03-06-2018, 08:25 AM

Perhaps there is less disagreement than I thought. Actually, I'm thinking of just basing it on the images that more closely agree, and discarding the rest.

One of the paintings was from the 1880's, so it may have been influenced by the Centennial Coach, but most seem to agree on black over cream, with window louvers that raise from the bottom. Interesting touch that will probably be reflected in the model. Closed front window and a couple of the side windows partially closed.

My mood is a bit more positive on this now
Attached Thumbnails
Allers Familie-Journal 'en Villa'-57291_wash_coach_lg.jpg   Allers Familie-Journal 'en Villa'-4931854027_64aff5e74f.jpg   Allers Familie-Journal 'en Villa'-carriage.jpg   Allers Familie-Journal 'en Villa'-horse-drawn-carriage-ngeorge-washingtons-carriage-drawing-dj-kennedy-ffe2np.jpg   Allers Familie-Journal 'en Villa'-nypl_digitalcollections_510d47e1-2bfa-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99_001_w.jpg  

Allers Familie-Journal 'en Villa'-untitled.png   Allers Familie-Journal 'en Villa'-washington-images-6.jpg   Allers Familie-Journal 'en Villa'-washingtonscarriage.jpg   Allers Familie-Journal 'en Villa'-washingtons-carriage-6892be.jpg   Allers Familie-Journal 'en Villa'-white-house-horses-04-07.jpg  

Google Adsense