PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 04-20-2018, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 368.12 MB
Thumb Dog,
Thank you for the knowledge sharing and great collection of oddities in paper ;-)
It's sad to me that the 100th anniversary is slipping through without much notice. It was even the reason I cancelled my subscription to "Air and Space" magazine. At the back of the magazine they would feature an old bird - mostly bi-planes, but then stopped. It's actually because of my fascination with bi-planes that I even started reading about the Great War. I look forward to reading your earlier posts.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
It was an amazing conflict in so many ways. And just as useless all all the others....
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 04-21-2018, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And thanks, MichaelS and Padraig. And Padraig, I am also a fan of biplanes, and when it comes to the World War I variety, I believe one of the best sources of information are the magazines and books published by the British publisher Albatros Productions LTD. Here is an entry to their website:

https://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/

While their products can be a bit spendy if you buy direct from them, their used books and magazines are available on some of the internet auction sites for much less money. I have a number of Windsock International and Windsock Datafiles in my library. Windsock International covers a wide range of aircraft in their issues, and if you're interested in a specific WW I aircraft, their Windsock Datafiles are an excellent source for information and previously unpublished photographs of individual aircraft.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 04-26-2018, 10:32 AM

Hi All,

I had been looking for a good copy of this model for some time when I finally found it in this collection posted by John Wagenseil.

Joconde - catalogue - dictionnaires

Titled, “Une Salle d’Ambulance de la Croix-Rouge,” or, “An Ambulance Room of the Red Cross,” this is diorama No. 15 in Pellerin’s Série de Guerre. In this case, the word ambulance means, “walking hospital,” namely a hospital for ambulatory or walking wounded patients. As I’m always on the lookout for an unusual vintage paper model, I was happy to find this elusive diorama.

Many of the dioramas in this thread do not include a base or backdrop, and in those cases I had to design and build my own. However, this model needed to be built to the floorplan that was drawn on the uncut sheet. The three walls, reminiscent of a stage set, were erected in the prescribed manner. As no base was included in the drawing, I drew up a planked, wooden floor on a piece of brown mat board. The eight beds and side tables were dutifully glued in place and the larger table was attached to the center of the floor. According to the plan, the medical staff and other ancillary personnel could be placed anywhere, and they were set to work caring for the wounded soldiers.

I’ve been cutting out a lot of figures for this thread, and there are a few differences among the various dioramas. Most models include one-sided figures that have plain, white backs. That holds true for the stationary hospital beds and side tables in this model, as it was the designer’s intention that only the fronts of these parts be viewed. However, this diorama and others in this thread have figures that come with two sides, each with a distinct front and back. This is so the two sides can be glued together, placed on separate bases and moved around the diorama showing either their front or back to the viewer. In the parlance of modern playsets, this is called play value. The ability to move the figures around the model spark the imagination and reveal the diorama to be the toy it was meant to be.

I employed my usual technique of laminating each figure onto another piece of 110 lb. cardstock and adding stiffeners made from basswood strips. Because I was going to glue each part onto the diorama's base, I didn’t bother to make the figures double sided. But I did use some of the figure’s back sides. Note that there are only two nurses on the uncut sheet, each with a front and back. Having been in a hospital on a couple of occasions, I know that seeing as many pretty nurses as possible is a real boost to morale, so I included all four drawings of the nurses on the floor. And just to mix things up, I included the back sides of a doctor and officer, too.

The finished diorama shows a quiet and idyllic hospital setting, and a wounded soldier would have been very lucky to have landed in this first-rate care facility. But the reality was often different. A more accurate depiction of a Great War hospital may have been seen in the film, “The Blue Max.” In it, Leutnant Bruno Stachel passes through the overcrowded hallway of a Berlin hospital on his way to a propaganda photo shoot. He walks past screaming, dying soldiers who are receiving little if any care. With few doctors, no antibiotics and little hope, winding up in such a facility often meant an extended death agony for many of these men.

But if a soldier did live through it, he might be eligible for one of the great medical advances of the Great War, reconstructive plastic surgery. Remarkable progress was made during and after the war in repairing the grievous facial wounds suffered by men in the trenches. Flesh and bone are no match against artillery and gunfire, and the techniques developed to rebuild a man’s face did much to help those brave soldiers reenter a peacetime society.

During warfare, many advances are made in many fields to correct the many problems brought about by the war itself.

As the song goes, “When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn?”

Score and fold

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-img_0402.jpg   Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-img_0408.jpg   Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-img_0405.jpg   Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-img_0406.jpg   Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-img_0409.jpg  

Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-img_0417.jpg   Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-img_0416.jpg   Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-img_0421.jpg   Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-epinal-23-copy.jpg   Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-epinal-nurse-4.jpg  

Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-epinal-nurse-3.jpg   Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-epinal-nurse-5.jpg  
Old 04-26-2018, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
I can agree with you from experience about the value of pretty nurses. When I was flying in support of the Marines in Da Nang late 1970 my crew chief SPC Letterman got injured (not by EA for a change). When I went to visit him in the US Navy facility there I was amazed. All the rough and ready Marines that were in there for minor wounds or waiting for a "Freedom Bird" flight home were absolutly in Love. But they were the most respectful polite bunch of guys you could imagine.

Thanks again TD for another of your excellent write ups.
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense
Old 04-26-2018, 12:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 368.12 MB
Where have all the flowers gone. I still can't hear that or sing it without getting a lump in my throat. I grew up listening to the Kingston Trio. Off topic I know, war is hell. Sadly it has made for incredible leaps in tech and med.

Back on topic: Have you fellas ever found a copy of Joseph Phelan's Aeroplanes and Flyers of the First World War ?

I remember reading somewhere that he wrote and illustrated it - brilliant and lots of great airplane info.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-31wckysmwcl._bo1-204-203-200_.jpg  
Old 04-26-2018, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Thumbs up

Another good model, Thumb Dog.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:16 PM

Hi All,

Quick note to Padraig. The attached is the first thing I found in Google Books...there may be more. See fifth paragraph down. It seems you'll be searching for two books now. More on today's thread later.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-epinal-googlebooks.jpg  
Old 04-27-2018, 06:17 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
A beautiful diorama, despite its somber topic. Your craftsmanship, as always, has elevated a simple model into a museum piece.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:14 AM

Hi All,

And thanks to MichaelS, Padraig, SCEtoAUX and rockpaperscissor for your continuing interest in this thread.

Earlier, I wrote a bit about my dad’s dad and some of his adventures during the Great War. Now that nurses have been mentioned here a couple of times, (and will be the subject of next week’s post in this thread), I thought I’d take a flyer and present a family story about my mom’s mom, too.

My grandmother was born in 1889 and became a nurse sometime in her early twenties, around 1911 or thereabouts. No stories have survived about her work during the Great War, as she remained stateside, but there was an interesting incident that took place sometime in the 1930s.

Grandma was employed by one of the largest hospitals in Minneapolis, Minnesota. She had a spotless work record and more importantly, she was known to be able to keep her mouth shut about the things she saw behind the scenes. That is why she was called in to nurse a pair of patients who presented a rather delicate situation.

Born in 1908, Daisy and Violet Hilton were British conjoined twins. Joined by a shared hip, they learned to walk together and enjoyed a wide range of mobility given their condition. Their early life had been hard, being sold from one promoter to another as a variety act. They toured western European and American stages throughout their youth, all the while being virtually enslaved by unscrupulous showpeople. While living in America in 1931, they finally won their independence through the courts, being emancipated from their brutal owners. In 1932, they appeared in their most famous theatrical outing as the Siamese Twins of the Tod Browning film, Freaks. Even a casual viewing of their few moments in the movie show that were not happy making what might be regarded as the pioneering exploitation film.

Even though the Hilton’s were talented musicians and accomplished dancers in their own right, the growing popularity of film and radio sent vaudeville on a steady decline, and the sisters found it harder to get theatrical bookings. In a 1936 publicity stunt, Violet married James Moore on a stage in front of thousands of spectators in Dallas Texas’ Cotton Bowl. The sham marriage didn’t last. It should have been a warning to Daisy, but she made the same mistake in 1941, entering into a marriage that endured little more than a week.

Somewhere in all of this sadness, one of the sisters became pregnant. And when they made arrangements to have the child in a hospital setting, my grandmother was there to help them through the birth. Their desire to keep the event quiet is understandable, as they didn’t want to have to explain to a curious press and public what would have quickly become a snickering scandal. My family history holds that the birth took place and the child was put up for adoption. Grandma became close to the sisters during their hospital stay, and in appreciation of her professionalism and discretion, Daisy Hilton presented her wedding dress and an autographed promotional photograph inscribed by both sisters to my grandmother. The dress still bore some of the threads from Violet’s maid of honor dress, as it had been removed after the wedding to be worn again.

These gifts were part on my family for many years and just before my mom died she made arrangements for the items to be donated to the Hennepin History Museum. The photographs below show the dress and autographed photo as displayed by the museum soon after acquiring the bequests.

Grandma lived through the Great War, married a dentist and lost him to a heart attack in 1936. She was left to raise four daughters in the middle of the Great Depression and her hair turned snow white within the year. The five women never had the time to dream of feminist ideals, as they were too busy working to keep a family together. I find myself lucky to have come from such good stock.

Thanks, Grandma.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-violet-hiltons-wedding-dress.jpg   Bandages and Baguettes, The Care and Feeding of the Great War Soldier-violet-hilton-wedding-dress-3.jpg  
Google Adsense