PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 03-01-2018, 11:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Lighthouse

Some finished pics of a lighthouse model.

Note the hole on the top.

Detail on cottage door

There is a threshold graphic on the cottage and ground that you line up.

Detail on tower door

There is alsos a threshold graphic on the tower and ground that you line up.

I was wondering why there are holes in the various parts that go all the way through the tower, thinking that it might be another incense burner thingy.
A translation of the wording on the model page gives a different purpose for the holes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dette er grundplanen som klæbe paa pap; cirkelen skjæres ut, hvorefter fyrtaarnet bygges op i den orden hokstavene angir.

This is the floor plan that is glued to cardboard. The circle is cut out and the firing tower is built up in the order the letters indicate.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
De gvrige deler av fyrtaarnet klæbes paa karton eller stivt papir. Naar taarnet er bygget færdig skal der være hul helt igjennem det, like fra grundplanen til spidsen av taket, saa al glasrgret let let kan gaa herop igjennem.

The other parts of the lighthouse are packed with cardboard or stiff paper. When the tower has been completed, there must be a hole through it, just from the floor plan to the tip of the ceiling , so that the glass can easily be ignited.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is funny how depending on the time of day and planetary alignment the translation will change a little.

I tried taking a picture of the lighthouse with a bright light inserted and shining at the top but could not get the lighting correct to show how neat it looks. It does look neat because the 176gsm cardstock is thin enough to allow the light to make the "glass" glow. A tube of black construction paper was placed inside the tower to block out the light and prevent the stone tower itself from glowng, although that was a pretty neat affect, too.
Google Adsense
Old 03-01-2018, 12:57 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
That's very interesting.

The style is amazingly identical to Terry Pratchett's Unseen University. I wonder if the artists are one and the same?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:38 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I built this kit myself a few years back. It's a fun little model. Nice job!
Old 03-01-2018, 01:46 PM

The lighthouse is one of the models done by HCM for the magazine Allers Familie Journal in the early 20th century.
It can be found on a flickr page posted by patricia m
https://www.flickr.com/photos/taffet...57663746233137

The graphics do kind of remind one of The Tower of Art or The Observatory at the UU.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:34 PM

I was able to play around with lighting and got some interesting results.

These first two show the light at the top of the tower. Ambient lighting was very low so not much else showed up. Note the different color tones of the tower light. Just a very minute adjustment of the ambient light was done.

Funny what a little more lumens will do.

Here a little more light from the right hand side.

A litte detail on the tower shows up.

Here is a picture with a little more light from the right hand side and some light from the left hand side.

A little more light from the left hand side brings out a little more detail at the base of the model.

Maybe there was a bright Moon on that night.
Google Adsense
Old 03-01-2018, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nice. I was hoping to see it lit. How high in the tower does your light sit?
Old 03-01-2018, 03:28 PM

Here is a pic showing how far up the light went.
Lighthouse-light-length.jpg
Right up to the underside of the lighthouse lantern. The black construction paper tube goes the length of the tower.

The light used for illuminating is an inexpesive 9-LED battery operated flashlight (or torch if you prefer).
Lighthouse-light-nine-led.jpg
Old 03-01-2018, 03:38 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Cool. I wondered how you were exposing first one side with light then the other.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:56 PM

That flashlight in the picture was used inside the tower to illuminate the lamp area at the top.

The light exposures from the right and left was accompished by using light from a computer monitor showing a light colored off blue background and the light from the left was accomplished by adjusting some curtains on a north facing window. Each light source was around 5 feet or 154cm from the model. Slight adjustments on the luminosity of the computer monitor and position of the curtains were done in order to get the pictures that are posted. You should see the pictures I round filed.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 15.81 MB
That's a neat effect, well done!
Google Adsense