PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 04-26-2018, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I doubt that so much sang-froid was actually exhibited during the raids. I imagine the decoupage was either a bit of whistling in the dark or a bit of propaganda.

Don
Old 04-26-2018, 03:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

In answer to Philip's question as to why the Parisians appear to be so nonchalant, it may be because scary as they were, Zeppelins made lousy bombers. Operating at night, the crews considered themselves lucky if they bombed the right city. Hitting their desired target with the desired effect was a rare event.

In one of my books about the Zeppelin raids, one story was of crews returning to Germany without knowing exactly what they had bombed. When they finally received copies of the English newspapers describing what had been bombed on the night in question, only then did they let it be known what their intended target was. The wily Hun indeed.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 04-26-2018, 04:16 PM

Hi All,

And hi again, Doug. Sorry I forgot to comment on your build of Les Zeppelins Sur Paris. As it looks like we've all built it at one time or another, we know a good result when we see one. Well done, Doug.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 09-14-2018, 08:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I made one too. Can anyone explain why the figures don't seem in the least bit frightened? French sang-froid perhaps?
YOu have to remember the times. This model was a much propaganda as it was a "toy." But, in reality, as soon as the French became aware of the Zeppelin threat, they mounted a 24/7 air patrol for several years during the height of the Zep threat. As a result, Zeppelin attacks were mostly ineffective as an instrument of terror and destruction of the French capital.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
Original art for WWI Epinals

I recently stumbled across a French museum site which appears to have the original art for many of the Epinal models dealing with WWI. Here, for example, is the watercolor for the Zeppelins Over Paris.

The artwork is credited to Louis Georges Albert Morinet. It's interesting to see how much more subtle the coloring is in these originals than in the final models done with fewer colors and stencils. One other notable difference is where there are reversed figures Morinet has rendered them only in gray watercolor.

There are quite a few more, including some models I've never seen the finished versions of. My apologies if this site is already known to all y'all.
Attached Thumbnails
Zeppelins Over Paris-m053701_018950_1.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-05-2021, 12:11 PM

Hi All,

And hi, Tom. An interesting find you have there. Attached is a side by side comparison of the original work to the published model by Epinal.

Do you agree with my unschooled guess that the original art served as a measured maquette that was meant to be passed on to the artisan who would prepare the lithographic stone?

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Zeppelins Over Paris-zepps-sur-paris-2.jpg   Zeppelins Over Paris-zepps-sur-paris-1.jpg  
Old 04-05-2021, 08:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 172.42 MB
It's surprising how many of us have built this. Mine is on the wall in a 6" x 8" picture box of which it fits very nicely.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
Quote:
the original art served as a measured maquette that was meant to be passed on to the artisan
Yes, that's exactly what I think, TD. It may have been more than one artist at work on the litho stone. I can imagine that they might have divided the work between the artisan who did the pictorial work and another one whose specialty was lettering.

And, my guess is that there was probably a third artist responsible for breaking down the colors into a more limited range and then cutting the appropriate stencils.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:21 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Interesting discussion.

Charles - it looks like you are spot on in assuming it was "propaganda" of sorts.

I did some research on Morinet and it turns out he painted "parodies of famous works, political and social satires, graphic puns".

Given the period and the styles common, then "propaganda" fits the bill very well.

His other works include titles like "The Brave Soldiers", "Our Young Hero's", "Glory", "Our Wonderful 75mm - Terror of the Boche" etc. Many are models...

Here's another "propaganda" example...

This is entitled "German Soldiers - the Effect of Panic".

The first panel is headed "The Terror", the second "Comrades/Friends" and the last "The Escape"!

Attached Thumbnails
Zeppelins Over Paris-005883.jpg  
Old 04-07-2021, 04:42 PM

Hi All,

And hi, Kevin WS. Your mention of Morinet's propaganda work brought to mind the attached image. I've had it in my computer for some time now, and I see similarities between the poster's smaller human figures and the figures in your image of German soldiers. I believe this work is known as Thor, and as can just be seen at the top right of the page, it is an Epinal print. I could not find a signature.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Zeppelins Over Paris-thor-copy.jpg  
Google Adsense