PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 03-30-2019, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.21 GB
Here is the U-9 model (the first submarine to successfully reloaded her torpedo tubes while submerged) ready for show at April's California Ship Modelers Association meeting.

SMA members are highly experienced, detailed wood ship modelers. Most of their models take months and years to complete. My card modeling effort is more of a monthly comic relief. I do try and provide interesting history with each card model.

Papermodelers.com is a valuable aid and resource.

Thank you everyone,

BP
Attached Thumbnails
WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-367.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-379.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-350.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-366.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-u9submarine.jpg  

Old 03-30-2019, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, Bob Penikas. Well done on your U-9 model. The boat certainly carried quite a few masts and funnels on its deck. And just to keep the crew busy, all these had to be struck and stored before submerging. There's quite a history to this dangerous machine...dangerous to both the enemy and its own crew. Early submarines balanced right on the very edge of technology and bad luck.

I've long had an interest in the early submarines. A hundred years ago, my long-dead neighbor Dean Varner was a submariner on one of the US Navy's R-Class submarines. The R-boats were the first to cross the Pacific to Pearl Harbor, and Dean was a torpedo man aboard the R-12. At the time, they were equipped with steam-powered torpedos. He remembered receiving an extra dollar in pay for each dive the boat made below the surface. Hazard pay in the early 1920s.

I've attached photos of both the U-9 and the R-12 in honor of those who truly go down to the sea in ships.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-unterseeboot-u-9.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-r-12.jpg