PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 03-25-2019, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.21 GB
WWI German Submarine U-9 ?

Howdy,

This parts page appeared in the forum a few days ago. I have been unable to
successfully search for that thread.

I did find the U-9’s combat history on-line interesting and a possible discussion item for our ship modelers meeting next month.

A bit of photoshopping resulted in a green parts page followed by a gray one. The green became a reference due to no available build instructions.

Now I am stuck figuring where the “little parts” attach. An evening of internet searching resulted in only two historic photos that really are not much help.

Part 19 was also mentioned in our forum that it is a deck mounted rudder verified by the side view illustration. And the member stated he had constructed this model. Hopefully he will respond.

Thank you,

B P
Attached Thumbnails
WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-b.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-c.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-d.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-e.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 03-25-2019, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Maybe you are looking for this thread:
World War One Submarines?
Old 03-25-2019, 06:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
see next post
Old 03-25-2019, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Two of them in quick succession ... woah ... sounds like some
of our older members are getting older .. and here
was me thinking I was the only one with failing faculties ...

No make that two into three ... another one got the wrong WW ...

... and I just did a double post ...

Old 03-25-2019, 07:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, Bob Penikas. I'm the paper modeler that said he had built the Unterseeboot. I am attaching some photographs to show you my miserable first attempt at this build. I mentioned before that my submarine had become twisted and the end result was unsatisfactory. I'll try again...some day.

I have some more information about the model since I posted a few days ago. I now remember that I found the model on the Salaludica 1958 site. Here is the location of the submarine:

https://salaludica1948.files.wordpre...boot.jpg?w=620

Also, the model has this attached information about the publisher, a publishing house I had not heard of before:

Nº10197 DEUTSCHES UNTERSEEBOOT. Oehmigke & Riemschneider D-Neuruppin 1920

I see you faced your conning tower in the same direction as I did because that's the way it is shown in the port-side elevation. But I wonder if the vision slits should be facing forward rather than astern. This would also place the light beams on the tower shining forward, too.

I hope my photos help you to figure out the parts placements on your model. Be sure to post pictures of your finished boat. I'm anxious to see a better example than mine.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-img_2151-2-.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-img_2153-2-.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-img_2155-2-.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-img_2161-2-.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-img_2158-2-.jpg  

WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-img_2159-2-.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-25-2019, 07:27 PM

Thank you Thumb Dog.

Outstanding!

Back to work.

BP
Old 03-25-2019, 07:51 PM

Hi All,

And thanks, Bob Penikas. After a closer look, I guessed wrong about the possible reorientation of Part 7, the conning tower. The white areas on the part dictate which way the part must face.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 03-27-2019, 02:10 AM

I am unable to figure where parts 9, 10 and 11 are to be attached. They are destined to be scrapped.

Using a few Internet U-9 reference photos I will try to enhance the model a bit.

BP
Attached Thumbnails
WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-9-10-11.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-u-9-sideview.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-u-9-.jpg  
Old 03-27-2019, 08:48 AM

Hi All,

And hi, Bob Penikas. The parts in question, 9,10 and 11 are the vertical tubes that are seen in the side elevation. Part 9 is the long tube that attaches on the aftmost small circle in the middle of the afterdeck. Part 10 is the middle size tube that attaches to the small circle on part 7a. Part 11 is the short tube that attaches to part 8a.

Tubes such as these can be difficult to roll and glue, but it's a good technique to master because it's used for gun barrels and many other items on paper models. You'll notice on my model I abandoned the paper parts and used aluminum tubing instead. By the time I got to installing them, I realized the model was a failure, and I didn't take time to make them look good. Whatever your solution, I hope your results are better than mine.

Also, a word about the yellow parts on the model. These are not to be used on the model, they are only there to show the length of parts to be scratchbuilt by the modeler. The Mast aus Holz goes between Part 9 and the aft end of the conning tower. And I believe the Holzstabchen fur das Steuer is the crosspiece to the Mast aus Holz. The model's text says to use wood for these parts. I did not install these parts on my model.

Hope this helps.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 03-27-2019, 10:00 PM

Thank you again Thumb Dog.

I was not happy with one of the three rolled parts inserted into this simplified submarine model mainly because most subs were fitted with two periscopes: one for scanning the sky and taking navigation bearings the other for targeting and attacking.

I tried two periscopes cut out from double layering found at the spiraling join of a TP roll that was just the thickness needed. strengthened with cyanoacrylate they will be painted and inserted replacing that one tube.

Adding detail may not be the way to go; perhaps this model should remain pure.

I just cannot stop myself.

BP
Attached Thumbnails
WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-1.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-2.jpg   WWI German Submarine U-9  ?-3.jpg  
Google Adsense