PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 04-26-2020, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And thanks all for the encouraging comments.

Whulsey, I know a little bit about Golden Age racers, but until now I had not come across any of Bentley's Old 1, 2 and 3, even though I still have my dusty copy of Airfix's 1/12 Bentley Blower Number 8 that I built many years ago. Thanks.

And sorry, Madbrit, but I can't answer your question about when Ingenia stopped publication. I'll ask Tom Greensfelder if he knows.

Finding a signature or artist's credit on an old paper model is something I always enjoy. It shows pride in the work and it makes a stronger connection bertween the designer and model builder. It's nice that many of today's designers carry on with the tradition.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 04-26-2020, 06:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
Hey Thumb Dog and Rob Tauxe, many thanks for replies. I think that the Chateau de Courcy will become a Covid 19 build. First I have to do some research into the effect of water color pencils on the card of the kit and also find reference on the Chateau itself....where would be without a virus to contain us ??
Old 04-26-2020, 06:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
The Airfix/MPC is a nice model. The actual car is owned by Ralph Lauren now.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

Last Sunday, papermodelfan, Rob Tauxe, asked when Ingenia stopped publication of its paper models. I passed the question along to fellow member Tom Greensfelder and I received his response today. What follows is information gleaned from one of the AGK books on the subject of paper modeling:

lngénia, Editions du Pelican Blanc
12, rue Duphot, F-Paris

The Editions du Pelican Blanc published children's books and model kits. Model sheet: single or multi-color offset printing, size varies from 40 x 45 cm to 40 x 56 cm. From around 1934 to the early 1950s, large volumes appeared under the name "lngenia" with neatly constructed and drawn models of airplanes, ships, trains and buildings. They are among the sought-after classics of cardboard model making. Some were reissued in the 1970s. However, the sheets are reduced in size to about 87%.

Before the Second World War, a series of farmhouses for coloring was published. From the 1930s to the early 1950s, in addition to the extensive models with the name "lngénia,” simpler sheets for children also appeared. Four-color offset printing, sizes varying 27 x 49 cm, 27 x 36 cm, 29 x 44 cm. After 1950, a test was carried out with tab-construction and modernist artwork, apparently not with continued success.

Tom concludes:

There’s another entry earlier in the book which says they published until the 1970s, so I expect Rob is right. BTW, my German translation is not professional. Just me and Google translate.

Tom

Thanks Tom, for your help in answering Rob’s question.

As I may have pressed the limits concerning the word, “snippet,” let me encourage you to visit the AGK website here:

https://www.kartonmodellbau.org/

A search through the site will reveal their German language books and magazines that discuss the history of paper modeling. Also, they have a downloadable collection of colorful vintage German paper models that are well worth a build. The models can be found here:

https://www.kartonmodellbau.org/publ...nload.shtml.en

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 05-02-2020, 07:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
hello MadBrit. I looked up Coucy, What a story. A large and intact castle from the 1200s, restored in the 1800s, and dynamited by the invading army in 1917, to make it useless as a garrison and lookout. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Coucy. The ruins then preserved as a "Monument to Barbarity" ever since. The model shows it in its pre-TNT state. The choice of these model subjects does not feel random - each may be a cultural icon that has meaning.

To circle back - I have to wonder what the original F-12(?) racing boat meant to the designer. I suspect it was in the news somehow, and won something important in its day,

Thanks for tolerating this excursion into history - that is what paper models do for me.