PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 04-06-2010, 04:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I found Japanese site about tatebanko http://tatebanko.com/about/index.html
From this site I learned that in the Edo period tatebanko was one of summer features. People decorate their workout tatebanko at the edge of the eaves while enjoying cool evening breeze in humid summer time.  Like hanging lantern they light up tatebanko so it was also referred to as built-up lantern. It’s a shame that tatebanko was regarded as seasonal charming sights and together with difficulty of keeping them until next summer they were discarded in late summer. That’s why they don’t go down to posterity.

It will be very interesting to light up paper tatebanko….
Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
These were two splendid models that Tony Cole built, for his gallery show of tatebanko in Tokyo (called "Paper Samurai"). Tony sent them by air freight to participate in the show. One is a of a dramatic fight in the snow from a moment in Japanese History involving the "47 Ronin". (Leaderless Samurai who are revenging the death of their chief). The attacking Ronin are clad in amazing costumes with black and white triangular panels, which turns out to be the way the local firefighters dressed at the time, so it was a disguise... The other models is a darker scene from a medieval legend "Raiko the Spider slayer" involving an ill lord, an evil Earth Spider, disguised as a monk, I believe, and a whole lot of nasty things from the underworld. This one has three cleverly done moving parts, tons of small spiders, and the ground is littered with headless corpses of people who fought the big spider and lost. Good clean family fun, no?

Tony then donated them to the Auction. I wound up taking Raiko home, and Peter Heesch took the other. These are hard to transport, and Raiko will not travel again soon, but 47 Ronin may reappear at a future IPMConvention. He and I planned to give it a permanent home at the Japanese Embassy, but never got a reply from the letter I sent them.

As YuG says, the originals were printed on translucent paper, so could be illuminated from behind with a candle. We have not explored that dimension yet, but some of them (like maybe Raiko?) might be totally different with internal illumination.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Thanks for all the information on Tatebankos Rob and YuG - and for that matter all the others too. The ones built by Tony Cole are really fine, thanks for sharing the pics. This is a very intresting subject. I tried to search more Tatebanko pictures in the internet but my tries turned out next to nothing. All I found was two but they we're not full plates. Not many books about this are published either - maybe some presented in books presenting master Katsushika Hokusai (he was a marvelous cartoonist too by the way - lok at the sumo scethes). Here are attached the Tatebankos I found. If I ever come across a reprint I think I rather frame it than build it. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-tatebanko04.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-tatebanko05.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-tatebanko06.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-sumo.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Post processed Thunder Gate

I used paint.net to brighten the colors of the Thunder Gate print..
Attached Files
File Type: zip New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip (394.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-09-2012, 12:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
Here are some photos that I took at the the convention in DC back in 2008 of some fantastic Tatebanko displays....Sorry, I don't have more information on them...but Rick, Don or one of the other attendees may know more about them. Enjoy the pictures.
The last three pictures show a scene from "Chusingura".
One of the most dramatic fights in the 1963 movie shows one of Lord Kira's bodyguards, cornered on a bridge taking on attackers from both sides.
The last picture shows Lord Kira after he had been dragged from his hiding place. He has just been made an offer he cannot refuse, yet he has turned it down.
Google Adsense
Old 05-21-2018, 01:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
I know this thread is several years old, but I just found this during a forum search for "tatebanko". I agree with Tapcho that this building doesn't represent the Kaminarimon Gate, though it could be the general location. At first I thought this was a tea house or ramen shop, though a brothel is probably most likely.

Examining the street fighters, it looks like five monks are struggling with a red oni (compare with the art panel directly behind them). While outnumbered, the oni seems to be holding his own, even preparing to strike one monk with his own geta (wood sandal)!

It's noteworthy that the other citizens don't appear overly concerned about an oni within their midst. The men peering out the doorway are obviously enjoying the "show", while the women to the right are merely continuing their walk. One almost imagines a ronin (with an uncanny resemblance to Toshiro Mifune) wandering into the scene and shooing bystanders away:

"Just another oni fight. Nothing to see here -- move along, move along..."

;-)