PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 04-05-2010, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette

I got the idea to do this vignette from ‘papermodelfan’s’ (Rob Tauxe) original post which can be read here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/h...tatebanko.html

I’ve often admired some ancient and modern tatebankos and decided now to do my own. In Rob’s post there’s a link to the website on Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and following Robs instruction found fairly good size photos of these old papermodels (with an acceptable resolution too). These original prints we’re made sometime early 19th century (my quess) and they are wood prints colored with ink and colors. I printed the picture on a 5 by 8 ‘’ matte photopaper and started the build. It was fun, it was fast and I loved every minute.

The vignette pictures the Kaminarimon Gate (The Thunder Gate) in front of Senjo-ji temple in city of Asuka (this is what the title of the picture tells and it does have some resemblance with the gate, but not enough)). So it could also be that the vignette pictures what appears to be a drunken fight in the ‘red light’ district. Squirmish gathers audience from the near by brothel and has caught the attention of a couple walking with their dogs. In that case the title given to this work ‘Thunder Gate’ could be an amusing riddle and play with words. This is my interpretation, feel free to come up with your own story.

Hope you like it friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-photo-original-print.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-instructions.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-front.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-front2.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-detail.jpg  

Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-back.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-kaminarimon-gate.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-05-2010, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Really nice! I love anything Japanese. I lived there for nine years. I'd love to go back someday.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:41 AM

Never been there but I share the passion. Would love to visit Japan once in my lifetime.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you for introducing interesting “tatebanko” that I didn’t know after having lived more than half a century in Japan. Since I live not far from Kaminarimon, it will be interesting to walk around there imagining the scene on the tatebanko that you built
Old 04-05-2010, 09:29 AM

Your honours go to Rob Tauxe, his a man with very wide understanding on papermodeling, both present and past. Thanks YuG and I'm glad if I gave you little something for an afternoon walk.
Google Adsense
Old 04-05-2010, 02:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
A paper model of a fight outside a brothel- that's Japanese.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Terrific, Tapcho! Great idea to build it. This funny little scene is by Hokusai, early 19C, one of the top artists in Japanese Woodblock Prints. In addition, he published dozens of books of comic sketches, and I would I would not be surprised if there were puns within puns here. I know of one of his models is of a two story Japanese public bath house, with dozens of characters wandering around and soaking. I heard that this is the old 19C gate to the shrine, (maybe on the North Side?) now supplanted by the much larger main gate that you show the photo of.

Yug - If you can go to that shrine, perhaps you can ask if there was an older smaller front gate in the early 19C, and if it still exists, compare it with the model. As for tatebanko, hundreds of artists published thousands of these from the 1700s through about 1915, when the form collapsed, along with the entire woodblock print art form. Some were very sophisticated, with ten sheets of parts or more, and moving panels and other parts. If you want to see more built ones, try these website - my colleague (and paper model designer of note in his own right) Tony Cole held an exhibition of about 18 of them in Tokyo a couple of years ago.
?????? ? Gallery ??? blog Tony Cole???????????KIYOHIME?
?????? ? Gallery ??? blog Tony Cole??????????Asagao-Nikki?
I think there are more images but have not succeeded in locating them

Tony and I wrote up our notes on the whole phenomenon for the German language publication "History of Card Models" (volume 8). Arbeitskreis Geschichte des Kartonmodellbaus (AGK) e.V.
We also put a report on how to build them in the equally obscure "Painters' Journal", a publication for people who make theatrical sets. Many of the tatebanko are kabuki play scenes, you see. If anyone has any ideas about where one could publish something in English about this intriguing but forgotten bit of paper model history, I am all ears.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I really like your Tatebanko. You occasionally see these wood block prints on E-Bay.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Here are some photos that I took at the the convention in DC back in 2008 of some fantastic Tatebanko displays....Sorry, I don't have more information on them...but Rick, Don or one of the other attendees may know more about them. Enjoy the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-ipmc-2008-028.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-ipmc-2008-029.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-ipmc-2008-030.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-ipmc-2008-031.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-ipmc-2008-032.jpg  

Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-ipmc-2008-033.jpg  
Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Rob displayed it

he would be the source
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense