PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 09-11-2010, 03:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Greetings and Ni Hao From China!

Hello everyone, really excited about this site. Have roots to modeling in plastic in the early 60's and Balsa all through the 70's, never dabbled into paper? But after looking over some of the work, with new home printers it has allot richer look and feel to it, and by my guess allot cheaper and affordable.

Now if memory serves me my Mom use to go bananas over all my models filling up the room, Looks like now my wife :has something to look forward to LOL!!! :D Great to be here and hope to share with you soon some of my builds!!
Google Adsense
Old 09-11-2010, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Welcome tobunaga! You are right, paper modeling is cheaper than plastic or resin, but even more addicting :D Can't wait to see some of your builds.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome aboard! Your experience with balsa is probably most similar to paper/card as all parts need to be cut out and formed before assembly. There is also a very wide range of subjects available - so enjoy!
Yogi
Old 09-11-2010, 09:53 PM

你好,欢迎你! Always great to see more posters from China!

I often think that paper modeling is an especially suitable hobby for Chinese, since paper and printing were both invented in China.

Last edited by Art Deco; 09-11-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 PM

Thumbs up Paper Building in China

Yes you are so right, at least long ago Chinese used paper for many things, they refined paper for not only writing but model building. Of what I see here in Museums, Chinese have built some amazing models of which I believe, the Japanese got the idea of Tatebanko from them (since the models date 3000 years ago). like the Egyptians of old the Chinese built replicas of their palaces and temples, either for enjoyment, but my guess for strategic planning, however the case some of these paper gems have survived.

Most of our problem here in nanning is space to fly, but I have a group of kids I want to get into this, not so sure if their little hands can do the work, we already have built hand launch gliders and the only one large area park, became a real hazardous event, the winds picked up and took most of the models aloft in a thermal, that put them into the trees.

Sad faces to say the least. but we turned our grief to Kite building instead at least the lines attached anchored our attempts! lol!

What I want o do is get these kids off computers, gameboy and PSP's and more into hands on building, I am an artist and we paint the kites, learn geometry, and aerodynamics. Now the challenge is to work entirely in paper! more cost effective, any ideas? are welcome!....will post our efforts here later.
Google Adsense
Old 09-11-2010, 11:03 PM

Also note if I can get some pics of the paper wonders, temples and such I will try and post them here for everyone to see, truly amazing stuff. I was a kid in a candy store at that exhibition, what amazed me is the scaling, down to the people of one village complete with carts and boast at dock, a diorama of sorts, but again I am sure it was not made for pure enjoyment back then! or maybe it was!!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Try the stomp rockets for something you can do with the kids. A couple of threads and available for download in the Toys and Automata section.
Yogi
Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobunaga View Post
Also note if I can get some pics of the paper wonders, temples and such I will try and post them here for everyone to see, truly amazing stuff.
Hello Tobunaga ! That will be a great idea ! I' m very interresting with those paper models !