PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 10-25-2010, 03:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello from Statesboro, Georgia

My name is Ken Friend, and I had never built a paper model until this past summer. I made the mistake(?) of starting with Ken West's 1/32 B-58...... I am retired, and obviously had too much time on my hands. I had a lot of fun with it, and have surprised a lot of plastic modelers with the realism. Hope I don't offend anyone with the extra work I did beyond the basic build. Great design work Ken!
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Statesboro, Georgia-img_7184.jpg   Hello from Statesboro, Georgia-img_7183.jpg   Hello from Statesboro, Georgia-img_7186.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
OK - you gotta be kidding me. There has been a serious rash of over talented people posting their first builds here lately - welcome to that run of excellence!

Is that really your VERY FIRST model? I have built at least a couple dozen and cant match that....

Thanks!!
Chris
Old 10-25-2010, 04:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Ken:
What paper did you print the B-58 onto?
Your pictures reminded me of the day in a small sailboat in the middle of Lake Worth out side of Ft. Worth Texas. Where a B-58 came in way too low to land and his exost (sp.) knocked us over into the water. he must have been only 15 ft. off the water.
Nice Build,
MILES
Old 10-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome, Ken! If that's your first, can't wait to see pictures of your second build.

Yogi
Old 10-25-2010, 08:56 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Hustle On Over...,

Hi Ken,

Glad you found your way over here. Welcome aboard!

+Gil
Google Adsense
Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Holy moly Welcome Ken!!!!!

That's a super awesome Hustler. As you have found, Ken is one of the best designers out there. And you are one heck of a builder.

BTW- don't worry about people getting upset about adding some scratch work. We all love it :D
Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear Ken:
What paper did you print the B-58 onto?
Your pictures reminded me of the day in a small sailboat in the middle of Lake Worth out side of Ft. Worth Texas. Where a B-58 came in way too low to land and his exost (sp.) knocked us over into the water. he must have been only 15 ft. off the water.
Nice Build,
MILES
Hello Miles,
I found some 11"X14" white poster board in packs of 5 at Walmart for $1.00 per package. I trimmed it to 8.5"X11" and printed on the dull side. I found that the paper would separate into layers if I dunked it in water, but adding a little white glue to the water seemed to help. Once the parts were formed and in place, I could complete the "hardening" process with thin CA or shellac. If I needed any filling I used Bondo glazing putty. Here are pictures of the landing gear and one engine after using this technique.
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Statesboro, Georgia-copy-img_7122.jpg   Hello from Statesboro, Georgia-copy-img_7106.jpg  
Old 10-26-2010, 09:01 AM

Thanks to all of you!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Although I have been building models for over 60 years, this IS my first paper effort. Thanks to Chris for the opportunity, and to Ken West for such a well engineered model. It might be a while before I attempt another (lesson learned), but will certainly use what I learned from this one on ALL my modeling efforts. The old Aviation Metalsmith in me won't be able to resist.....
Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
That's a pretty amazing Hustler Ken. You wouldn't happen to be the Ken Friend with realistic natural metal finish article in the Dec 2010 FSM magazine would you?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post
That's a pretty amazing Hustler Ken. You wouldn't happen to be the Ken Friend with realistic natural metal finish article in the Dec 2010 FSM magazine would you?
Yes, I feel very honored to have that article printed. I didn't think it is public knowledge yet. How did you learn about it?

Ken
Google Adsense