PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 07-18-2007, 12:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.92 MB
Mind if I join in?

Hi everyone,

As I normally check the traffic via RSS, I was suprised to see the sudden drop in modelling post vs. train posts. Thanks to Rick, I found out where everyone has gone too and hurried my way over!

Good to see folks again. I'll try and post some of the stuff I've been working on!
Google Adsense
Old 07-18-2007, 07:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Hi everyone,

As I normally check the traffic via RSS, I was suprised to see the sudden drop in modelling post vs. train posts. Thanks to Rick, I found out where everyone has gone too and hurried my way over!

Good to see folks again. I'll try and post some of the stuff I've been working on!
Great to see you here.... Please do post pics of the stuff you're working on. I always love to read about other peoples builds. It kind of inspires me to do better.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
LINK: Designing America's First Railway Locomotive, "Stourbridge Lion"
Old 07-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Hey Gnasher! You are the second peson to mention this RSS feed thingy. I have never used one and dont really even know what it does. I better get with the times and try it out! Please post some stuff so i can see it over RSS
Chris
Old 07-18-2007, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Welcome, Gnasher! You know we are all greedy for pictures!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.92 MB
An introductory essay on RSS

For those who don't know about RSS, let me fill you in. It's a bit like e-mail, in that your RSS client will check for "messages" at certain intervals and download anything new it finds. The difference to e-mail is that the source not a person, but a server that syndicates information (the second "S" in RSS). Wikipedia explains it better than me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS

To cut a long story short, I have a little icon on my toolbar that changes colour when the program has found new posts in the forum. I can then click on the icon to preview the messages and read those I am interested in.

The plus side, I don't need to go to the all the websites to check if there are new posts (since there are hundreds of card modelling forums out there:p) and I can preview and filter what I want to read in detail. Many blogs and podcasts, such as Paper Forest, Papercrafty and PapperKraft.net also carry an RSS link, so you will get their latest entries automatically. Of course there are a wide variety of sites and infomation sources that carry RSS links, if you like to keep up with the news or software updates. [shameless plus] One of my favourites is Decodering Theatre that does podcasts of old style radio plays - great for listening while modelling [/shameless plug]!

On the downside, RSS readers will only check for messages when your computer is on (duh!) and if there is a lot of traffic some messages "drop off" the stack before you can get them, say at night when your computer is off for 8 hours. The Zealot forum only keeps the latest 15 posts I think, so if more that 15 messages are posted, you only get the last 15. But the biggest problem is that there is so much information to be had, it can cut into your modelling time!:D

Sorry about the long, off topic, ramble, but I *really* like my RSS feeds!

Regards,
Andreas
Google Adsense