PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 01-27-2011, 12:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Hello from Wales.

Hi Guys & Gals,
Someone called Jason tells me I'm not allowed to just lurk in the corner here. I gotta stick me neck out an' say Hello.

I was born a Cockney (East London), but spent most of my adult life overseas with the Army. On retirement at 50, I didn't like what London had become, and am now, at 67, completely retired in a small Welsh mountain village near Snowdonia.

I have been fascinated by paper models since my Dad introduced me to Micro-Models, way back in the '50s. Needless to say, many years were spent with plastic models, and I do still make a few now.

It was research for a plastic model (Airfix PBY) that led me to find and download several paper ones. This introduced me to the fantastic variety of free paper models that were available on the web, and surfing around I eventually bumped into this forum.

In order to access the freebies, I had to join, and have been amazed at the quality available here. And mooching around the posts, I find quite a friendly comunity too.

So Hello people. I'm Johnny. Being a bit of a recluse now (Wars do that to you), I may not say much, but I'll be around on the side, and I'll chip in the odd comment where I see fit.

Johnny
Google Adsense
Old 01-27-2011, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Welcome to the forum, Johnny.

There is a growing band of british members here.

Looking forward to more posts from you.

Tim
Old 01-27-2011, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Hey Man

Ah! I saw your other post as well. I did 16 years in the Army and was a Police officer in Essex for 4 years. I had "issues" after leaving the Army as well. So much so I took a job training mercenaries of all things. But I am now normalish and love paper modeling after coming here from Plastic. I could not afford the models and hated making a mistake I could not fix.

Anyhoo you are amongst many British/ex-pats/military/vets/friends and above all paper modelers.

Looking forward to seeing you around.

Cheers
Jim
Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 AM

Hi guys, So are we building a little Britain on here, or what.
I do note that there is mention of forming a UK branch on another thread.

My "issues" aren't serious Jim, it's just that after 30yrs of service, and most of it spent in 'active' overseas areas, I don't seem to fit in well with modern city life. I just didn't like the people much.

I'm much happier now in this rural environment. The dreams are long gone, and even the shotguns in the woods don't make me twitch anymore. I've not been invited to join in yet, though.

Johnny.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Smile There's definitely a Welcome in the Mountains for you here !

Hey there Johnny, welcome aboard the good ship PM DOT COM - You're in the right place to chill out and relax.... not just here on the forum, but in your beautiful part of the Country - Beats the Cities anytime. Enjoy your stay
Google Adsense
Old 01-29-2011, 05:56 PM

Hi Peter,

I've been cooling my heels in these mountain for 7 years now.
Been back to visit London ... like ... err? ... zilch times now.
Got a son in Essex, another near Glasgow, and a daughter just t'other side of the mountain. Old folk all gorn, so no reason to ever go back now.

I got a big problem with this Paper lark though ... there's soooo much free stuff around that I'm too busy downloading it all and not actually making anything. I was promising myself to start with an MP5, but then I found an AK47, Then an Uzi, but my heart settled on a Winchester '73. It's printed out and on the bench ... but then I saw Doc's build of a Thompson, and the Winchester got parked.

Cor, I've even gotta pay for this one, but not a lot. It'll take a lot to distract me from this though ... unless a free Armorlite M16 crops up !! See my Avatar. I carried one for too many years. Actually it's properly referred to as a USA SDM-R, but we Brits just called it an armorlite.

Johnny.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
John,

Check this thread

The AR-15
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 01-29-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
John,

Check this thread

The AR-15
Yup, Seen it last night Rick. Looking good, but he's heading away from the SDM-R spec. I'll need a plain wooden butt and a bi-pod at least.

I've found this for free
but it'll need a lot of modding, and it ain't 1:1.

Johnny.