PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 01-29-2011, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.23 MB
Smile A Storm Rolls In

Given that my waistline seems to be expanding as fast as my age is increasing, "Rolling In" seems like an appropriate metaphor.

Hello. I'm StormDragon, and I hail from the Great Pacific Northwest (Oregon, in the United States of America to be a bit more precise) home of many trees, and much recycled paper.

At 41, I'm not as old as some here, and ancient compared to others. I have 4 sons, the oldest is 20, and a member of the US Marine Corp, my youngest is 13 and an avid video game player. I did my first paper model that was NOT a paper airplane when I was 5 or 6, and got into Origami shortly there after. My Father was in the US Army Corp of Engineers, and traveled to several Asian countries when I was younger. Somehow he always seemed to make it home with a new Origami book for my mother and myself. Except for a continuing interest in Origami, throughout my teens and twenties, I largely forgot about other types of paper models.

It wasn't until a number of years ago that I was visiting a contest thread at Starshipmodeler.com that I rediscovered paper models. In the years since I've built models as simple as Cubeecraft, to an 1/32 scale F/A-18 Hornet-C. I've found this is a wonderful hobby, and a great way to connect with my kids. They've grown up watching Anime, and building plastic models of the characters and Mecha in them. Paper Models let me spend that same bonding/creative time, minus the expense of the plastic kit.

Since its' creation, I've been a frequent visitor of the /po/ board of 4chan, but I am deeply disturbed (and often disgusted) by the attitudes, and posts, of the Anonymous culture that I see there. So, I finally decided to take the plunge here, and leave the trolls to their "what paper" threads there.

I have a lot of Paper Modeling interests, including: Military Aircraft and Real Spacecraft, but my current favorites are the Mecha that make up many of the Anime I've watched with my sons. So, I hope to learn from the people here, give a little something back to the community, and, in general, just find a relaxing way to spend what little free time I have.

(and I also appear to be a bit long-winded)
Google Adsense
Old 01-29-2011, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Hey StormDragon. First off a very warm welcome. I want to say that we care not about age or anything else. We care about paper modelling. when you have had a chance to look around some of the very fine build threads I am sure you will agree that is a huge bucket of talent here all eager to help anyone and everyone.

I had the same interests as you then I found architecture, then tanks, then civilian aircraft, ships etc. Now I just say I'm interested in Paper Modeling and leave it at that. lol

Long winded? Nah! Great introduction to this forum? Absolutely.

Cheers and see you around.

Jim
Old 01-29-2011, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Hello Storm!

Welcome to The Forum (capital letters not gratuitous)

Nice introduction. Sounds like we'll be enjoying your presence a lot, and you will surely enjoy it here.

Have a great time.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Welcome to the forum. Nice place to hang out.
I lived in North Bend, Oregon when my father was in Korea in 1961. I remember it as being a great place for a kid with a wild imagination. Lots of places to explore.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:05 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome, Storm! Plenty of content in the warm breeze, thank you.

You'll find this a fairly focussed and enjoyable place (with a very few toads in the road now and then - kinda' like life). Most importantly, tons of information from the member and the materials posted.

Congrats on the family's success. Looking forward to your ideas.

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.92 MB
A really great intro. and welcome. It's the best sand box to play in.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 709.4 KB
Just got here myself....Welcome!

http://dented-rick.deviantart.com/
Old 01-30-2011, 12:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 354.7 KB
Grew up in Salem. Lived in Portland. Glad to be gone and residing in Texas. Just too much wierdness for an old guy.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Welcome StormDragon

What part of this gorgeous state do you hail from?
Old 01-31-2011, 03:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.23 MB
Hey Ashrunner.

I'm from a small town outside of Eugene. Grew up here, but spent time San Francisco, New York and Washington DC. Guess I'm a country boy at heart, though, I came back to this small town, settle down, and raised my family.
Google Adsense