PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 03-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Newbie says hello

Hello all.

Me - school teacher, married with children. Live in Australia.

Here in Australia card modelling is not very popular. Hence we have to use the internet and mail order on a pretty regular basis.

I used to model plastic. Lots of it. But then my interest in actually modelling plastic kits waned. For the following reasons (which helps to explain why I have turned to card/paper modelling):

1. The cost of plastic. I realise that card models, in large scale, with all the extras, can get pretty expensive. But a simple card model requires very little.

2. The tools required in plastic modelling. Yes, it's possible to get by with a blade and a sanding stick and some glue, but in reality plastic needs a lot of tools compared with card modelling.

3. Painting plastic. This is the main drawback. The need to paint the plastic models, with all the fumes and mess and toxiciity. And a spraybooth? What a hassle! Most good card models are colour preprinted.

4. Injected moulding. Environmentally unsound. I know that paper/card involves trees, but the industrial waste resulting from injection molding is horrific.

5. Scratchbuilding. I live to modify and scratchbuild, and it is much easier to do this with paper than with card. Easier on the wallet, easier on the eyesight, and just "feels' more natural.

Although I don't actually model plastic anymore, I still read the mags and like to check out the new kits in my hobby shop. I suspect many ex-plastic modellers do this too.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to everyone
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2011, 08:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.79 MB
Welcome!

You pretty much have the same reasons for making paper models as I did when I came to the "dark side".

But be warned, all of those "FREE DOWNLOADS" can be very addictive. If you're not careful, you''ll end up with a file drawer full of free printed kits that you "plan" to build someday.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
Hi, my cat's named Newbie, unfortunately he loves card models too.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome aboard! You should find more than enought ideas to keep you busy (and some you can take to class - deductable professional expense??).

Yogi
Old 03-23-2011, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Welcome! I'm also new to the forum, and have been exploring some incredible models. I still build in plastic, but have been working in paper more often. One great reason for me, is that I'm disabled, and especially in the winter, or on days where my bone pain is too bad to do anything other than lie in bed, I can still work on a model. A good bed tray table and basic supplies works. I don't have to worry about paints during the construction, toxic glues, etc. A cutting surface, knife, rule, craft glue, and I can build. I'm learning a lot from the folks here already. It's quite an adventure!
Google Adsense