PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 03-28-2011, 12:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Just a small Hi

I'm from Washington state and have been building models for most of my life.
I was drawn here by the fact that some of the more interesting subjects I am drawn to are available in card model form and the method is also a very good way to render potential plans/structures into 3D form to see if they fit as intended and how they will look over all.

I may not post much but I intend to look and learn much from all of you who know what you are doing.
Google Adsense
Old 03-28-2011, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Welcome !
Hope that you find the information that you need.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 AM

I'm sure I will. There is a considerable amount of talent here. All I am doing is getting an idea here and another there and so forth. That may change someday and I will need a specific piece of information. If so then I will be sure not to be bashful.

Thanks for the welcome

Lou
Old 03-29-2011, 09:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to Jerry V
A small hi, but a big welcome.

I hope you will enjoy yourself on the forum and perhaps one day we will see your models! What kind of models are you in?
Previously build; R.M.S. Titanic, 1:200 scale
Currently building; S.S. Nomadic 1:250 scale
Old 03-31-2011, 12:55 PM

Over the years I have built almost anything from sail to nuke with the smallest being a little over five inches, and the largest at about four feet.

I have been pretty inactive for about twenty years while raising a family and working like most people do, so I have very little that has survived storage/moving in good enough condition to even take a picture of let alone show on line!

While the family thing has not really changed that much, (I am now raising two grandchildren, ages three and eight) I am now retired and have a little more time and money to hopefully get back into the hobby.

Right now I am just trying to get all my stuff back together and deciding on whether to concentrate on restoring some of the ships I built in the past or finishing ones I started and didn’t finish in order to save money, boy have things gotten expensive in the last twenty years!

Another possibility is to start on something new and this is where this forum comes in. First off many of the more unusual subjects that might interest me seem to be included in card models and nowhere else. Secondly I have always used card material, old file folders, to 3D my plans and get a better idea of how the structure would look and get the final shape/design to build the finished structure in something sturdier. It is a great medium and obviously less expensive than many others. It worked out even better for me many years ago when I used card to pattern a superstructure that I then made from metal sheet I picked up from a company who did ductwork. The scraps were free and the only difference in assembly was that after folding I had to solder instead of glue.

At any rate I think that at present I am going to concentrate on finishing a smaller tug that I started twenty years ago, while I do research on a new model that I might start after I get more of my things located and set up a building area that is far enough out of sight that it passes approval with “She who must be obeyed.”

Thanks for the welcome and interest.

Lou
Google Adsense