PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
New Member, First Build

Hi,

Am really glad to be a new member of this site from Canada. I am a scale wooden boatbuilder with an interest in learning to build vessels out of card. I think card modeling is a fascinating way to construct models. I don't know if I will be able to succeed but I want to try. I am starting this journey at level one step one. My biggest concern at this point is the scale of available waterline kits, 1/250. I printed down a free kit from Paper Shipwrights and my first thought was how is any one able to do this?

Can anyone recommend a book I can buy to learn some "how to's" about card modeling, one related to ships would help.

Thanks!
Google Adsense
Old 03-30-2011, 10:30 PM

New Member, First Build

Hi,

Just made an introductory post to a new thread but for some reason it didnot show in the welcome part of the forum This is my second try.

Am new to card modeling and would like to try and build a water line vessel.

Can anyone recommend a book that I can read to learn the basics of card modeling?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2011, 10:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Welcome to the fold.

I was a wood bender myself but graduated to paper models. Jest kidding both of these hobbies have very similar skill sets. Start off with a good model. I would suggest that you start with one of Mr. Hathaway's free models at Paper shipwright or Romans site Digital navy. Tiring to build a model that has parts that do not fit well is very discouraging but any model you find on the above sites are excellent models. Try building the same model a few times trying to improve your skills on each new build. Keep the first models simple by that I mean relatively few parts but good details read the tips and techniques posts and when in doubt ask questions. This is a very friendly forum and you will a lot of very nice understanding modelers here.

And don't forget to show us you first build and every one there after we love to see what the members are building.

Jim Nunn
Old 03-30-2011, 10:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Welcome Botdog! I'm not much of a ship builder myself (built one and it warped badly), but I wish you luck. There are many master craftsman in the boat area here. I look forward to seeing your tiniy navy.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to Jerry V
Good morning Botdog, and welcome to the forum. I have been building a couple of ships since I joined the forum in februari last year. Most of them are in the 1:1200 scale and are basicly the same model, only different appearances. They are available for free at mr. Currellīs site; RMS Titanic. His site also contains other free downloads.

Also this might be of some help; Card Modeling FAQ

Jerry
Previously build; R.M.S. Titanic, 1:200 scale
Currently building; S.S. Nomadic 1:250 scale
Google Adsense
Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.79 MB
Welcome Botdog.

Paper Shipwrights models do have a lot of tiny details. And nothing is more fustraiting than printing an entire sheet of parts just to make another copy of a hatch or wheel the size of a nailhead.

I suggest you start with the CSS Raleigh or the CSS Virginia II by CT Ertz. They're both in the "Downloads" section here at papermodelers.com. They have fewer pieces to cut out, more room to cut around them, and CT Ertz printed a some helpful tips next to them to guide you along. If you search the forums, you will also find pictures and building tips from times other members were making them.
Heck, you can even send a personal message to CT Ertz here asking him for advice on how to build them (he's a realy nice guy about it). All he'll probably ask for in return is a picture of your completed model.

But one thing I realy do like from Paper Shipwright is the railing template. It helps make the perfect sized railing quickly and easily.

Have fun!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 AM

New to PaperModeling

Hi,

I am grateful by the many responses to my first post although it ended up in the wrong place. It was to go to the welcome part of the forum. It went sideways, go figure.

Thank you, Steven, Jerry, willygoat, and Jim. I appreciate you input and advice.

Steven, I am going to checkout the CSS Virginia and the CSS Raleigh and pick one for a first build. I like the idea of easing into the build. Also, I like the idea of building the first ship a few times to build skills.

Will let you know what I am going to do as I figure it out and will post a build log when I get started. As I mentioned previously, I don't know if I can be successful with card but I want to try. The scale is a bit daunting. We will see what happens. I am very persistent, if that helps!

Thanks again.

Botdog aka Boatdog