PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 05-24-2011, 07:00 PM

Location: Pennsylvania, USA, one state away from Almost Heaven.
Total Downloaded: 0
Carlisle, PA

Oi! I am trying out the exacto-knife-wielding art for the first time, as soon as i get some white glue... I went to the store and filled out my beginner's supply kit and forgot the adhesive. I will bide my time until a wally-world glue-buying trip tomorrow morning by reading these forums.

So, I met some paper modelers at a recent event, Army Heritage Days at the US Army Heritage and Education Center in Carlisle PA, USA. I was their "case officer," as one of them put it (I work at the joint) and they really impressed me, gave me a few free samples, and even invited me to dinner. I turned down the dinner on account of my foot-tapping wife rolling her eyes at another chance for me to try something new out, but they referred me to these forums, and I am anxious to build the samples they gave me.

So, hopefully I will have an M3 Stuart tank or a Willys MB truck to report on in the next few days! Cheers!
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2011, 08:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Hi Karl!

It's great to see our Case Officer make an appearance. Hope to see you next week in the Military History Institute reading room and hope to see your first paper model appear here soon.

Everybody - let me introduce Karl, who was the Army Heritage and Education Center liaison officer to Paper Modelers. He was an enormous help to us as we navigated the Visitor Education Center security last Friday evening for the set up. Imagine Rick Steffers, Kevin Stephens, Greg Perry, Ed Swank, Gil Benson, and me surrounded by boxes full of paper models and other gear at the back door.

Karl: "Here's the drill. For security reasons, we can only keep the door open for 30 seconds." Door opens. Mad dash to pass all the boxes of paper models and other gear through the door and stack it on the other side. Followed by carrying all this stuff about 20 miles through the secret passages and back corridors of AHEC (ever see Night at the Museum?).

Karl: "For security reasons, everyone has to stay together. Come back! We have to stay together! I KNOW it's a genuine Renault FT. You can look at it later. But we all have to stay together. Yes. It's an Armstrong-Whitworth . . . you can look at it later .. hey, Guys . . ."

Anyway, Karl gets the Paper Modelers' award for kindness, courtesy, grace under pressure, and excellent marks in cat herding. Now we'll see how he does at paper model building.

Don
Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome, Karl! Looking forward to your initiation at Don's hands and your input/information.
Yogi
Old 05-24-2011, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Welcome to the fold Karl. It was very nice taking to you this past weekendi look forward to seeing your work at next years event or possibly evensooner.
And thanks for taking care of us last week.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:30 PM

I did learn the quickest way to strike fear in the heart of a paper modeler: mention the possibility of rain.
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2011, 08:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
As it happened, rain had little to do with my premature exit on Sunday. I had to leave early for other reasons. As a substitute teacher w/o a teaching certificate, I am forced to sit by my phone and/or computer at specific times to get teaching assignments. I was working all weekend at getting a physics teaching assignment that the primary teacher could not assign directly to me. The assignment came through about 5 pm. I would not have been able to take it if I had stayed the entire time. As a result, I had an enjoyable day teaching physics yesterday including a radiation lab that was the main reason the primary teacher asked me to sub for him in the first place.

Can't speak for the hasty exit by everybody else though....

Oh, and welcome to the fold. All questions are encouraged, so don't think there are any stupid ones.

Greg
Old 05-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Welcome aboard Karl. An introduction from Don is just icing on the cake. If you should run into any problems with your builds, Check to see if someone made a build sequence thread on it and if not, Post a photo of the offending part and someone here will help make it so. This is a great community and I know that you will enjoy yourself. Check out the Canon site for some figurines and stuff that the wife may enjoy.

Wives tend not to be enthusiastic with military subjects but show them a Pagoda, Dragon, or even doll furniture stuff for Barbie, all made out of paper and they may make a comment like, "OH, how cute!" and pique their interest in paper modeling,

Eventually I will make one of those Heritage days and hopefully take a gander at that Whitworth, But right now I am pending a contract that may take me out of the picture for a while. Enjoy and see you around the forums.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It was the concern about carrying the models through the rain that prompted the rest of us to leave early on Sunday (image of Gil Benson trotting to his car with a very large paper model of Canterbury Cathedral held upside down over his head).

We learn something each year and next year, regardless of weather, we will arrange in advance for a detachment left in contact to assure that all the visitors up to the very end have a chance to be introduced to paper models.

Don

If I am not mistaken, Karl appears in this photo at the far right wearing the high visibility yellow AHEC jerkin. Also visible, left to right, Rick, Mike, Greg (leaning against the wall and contemplating physics), John (mostly hidden by Kevin), and Kevin.
Attached Thumbnails
Carlisle, PA-army-heritage-days-2011-095.jpg  
Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
The first one is free. Oh Yeah, that's how they got me.
Welcome aboard Karl - enjoy.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:16 AM

HA! "The first one is free..." Thanks for the welcome, gentlemen. I look forward to coming up with clever answers to the question "Is that <i>really</i> made of paper?"
Google Adsense