PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 07-07-2011, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Greetings! from rochester,ny

Hello,this is great!I have been in a couple of German forums and I do not speak German!What a relief to be able to read te posts without using a translator.
Now about me:I am a 48 year old model builder who got into this when I was injured at work 5 and a half yrs ago.I bought the Polish model "Malbork" a year earlier and started it,or tried to,but as it was in Polish I gave up.But after surgery due to the injury I had,I took it up again and actually finished it! Since then I have really gone into paper modeling and my house is filled with castles,cathedrals and various other models!
Personally I prefer architectural models.What led me to this site is my search for the Monte models of the 60's and 70's.There is a decided lack of commercial American architectural models,especially when compared to the European publishers.
I have built a few "technical" models and will probably build more as I am a big history buff and see alot of good military models out there.
Oh well,I guess that's my intro.Glad to be here,Kurt
Google Adsense
Old 07-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Hi, "neighbor", glad to see someone else from around here on PM (I'm in Parma, in the midst of moving back from Hamlin).

Architectural models? Hmmm, not sure if they have any left, but have you tried Dan's Crafts and Things? I'm more into things that roll, float or fly, so I didn't really pay much attention to what else they had. Years ago, there were Micromodels there, but I think they're all gone now.

Scott K.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Eternal Member

Welcome to the forum Kurt.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Kurt:
Another Hi Neighebor I live 1 mile from Old Fort Niagara. West of you,
Got Questions Just ask, lots of knologage here,
MILES
Old 07-08-2011, 11:14 AM

Thank you all for the welcome.I look forward to learning and sharing in this forum.One quick question would be:does anyone know a good source for A4 and A3 cardstock on our side of the Atlantic?I have searched many times and have yet to find one.Any help would be appreciated very much.Kurt
Google Adsense
Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Kurt, I haven't found a good source for European sized paper...however, there is a good workaround. I use 9x12 and 12x18 tagboard. I don't have the suppliers url on tap on this computer, but pm Zathros and he will give it to you.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome aboard, Kurt. Have you browsed the links section for any architectural model sites you may have missed? There are some buildings out there (and a bunch at Fiddler's Green) as well as some city sites (build your own New York!).
Yogi
Old 07-08-2011, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
welcome from southern ontario!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 AM

I will probably have to take your advice Darwin,as finding the paper I want over here seems impossible .Thanks for the tip.I have checked out the links pages and already use the best of them.GPM has expanded their selection to include German,Czech and the Orel line from Ukraine.They are really good because they do not have a set shipping fee to the USA,rather,they charge what it costs them.In my experience it has been cheaper than the usual 30 euro fee of most European web stores.I used to buy from Moduni before they moved to Hamburg then went belly up.I now use the Swiss site modelbogen and the Spanish site papel3d.The Paper Model Store hasn't brought in new models in quite a long time,but I do check at least twice a week to see if they have.