PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 08-01-2008, 09:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi from Berkshire

Hi from Reading in the UK, my name is David and I've just started looking at paper modeling. As a youngster I built a lot of plastic models, mainly tanks and planes. Now my youngest is showing interest and I want to get him started with paper as it looks much more versitile, and some of the plane models can fly!

I fancy trying some warship modeling but will likely try a range of topics. I have to say I am in awe of a lot of these models, I never realized anything so detailed and accurate could be done with paper.
Google Adsense
Old 08-01-2008, 11:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Welcome to the paper world :D
There is plenty of free models available to get you started but if you fancy ships, take a look here http://www.digitalnavy.com/html/downloads.html
Don't forget to show the results to the rest of us
Old 08-01-2008, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.92 MB
Welcome to card models. Your 'history' mirrors mine to some extent, but I did dabble in cardboard in the late 60's and retiurned about five years ago.

Digital navy has some fabulous stuff, but there are so many other suppliers you may be surprised. I tend to work from pre-printed kits and my general preference is for HMV models. You'll find your own metier soon enough. I've found this forum welcoming and helpful.

Good luck; keep in touch.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:41 AM

Thanks for the welcome, there's certainly a lot of material on this site and others

I trawled the net for a while and did discover Digital Navy so I've downloaded the Admirable and Dreadnought plans and will use those to experiment with papers and re-learn modeling techniques.

I prefer destroyer and frigate classes so I've also downloaded the Kongo plans though my eventual aim will be to model the Battle-class fleet destroyer HMS Agincourt.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Eternal Member

Welcome good choice using DN
Google Adsense
Old 08-02-2008, 12:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good stuff and people here.

The Women's British Open is in Sunningdale this year. Looks nice on the TV.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Is there a model of a Battle-class destroyer in existence, or will the Agincourt be a scratch-built model?

Don
Old 08-02-2008, 11:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
As of now the nearest available thing to a paper Battle is the experimental twin 4.5" mount on GreMir's HMS Savage.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:41 AM

I don't know if there is an existing model and I've just started to look for material. According to Wikipedia, HMS Agincourt (D86) was part of the 1943 group along with Aisne, Alamein, Barrosa, Corunna, Dunkirk, Jutlans and Matapan. There was an earlier 1942 group of 16 ships and a later group of two RAN ships HMAS Anzac and Tobruk. Hopefully there is a model of one of these or at least enough combined material to render a good scratch build.

I picked Agincourt as it's the only deck I've been on. I was on it for all of about 30 minutes when it was moored to a dolphin in Portsmouth harbour in 1969.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'd love to see models of the Battle and Weapon class late-war destroyers. Barry is doing an outstanding scratch build of an Australian ship of the British Daring class.

Don
Google Adsense