PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 11-06-2011, 08:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 163.10 MB
Greetings from Loveland, CO

Hello all,
I am not one to hang out on forums on a regular basis (too much daily life happening, what with family and work). But I do enjoy following this revived art of paper modeling. I build a few, even a original and a custom mod, and have done a bunch for my children as play things. I have quite a backlog of models I want to build - planes, space ships, sci-fi, architecture, etc. I suppose what drives my interest is generally an interest in things historical. You can visit my personal web pages at:
Rich Kurz home page
and get the idea. Click on the Modelcraft tab and see some of what I have modeled.
I am currently working of sets of measurements of Pa's store in De Smet, SD from "The Hard Winter" and the hangar deck of the original starship Enterprise. I will model those in paper, mainly to get a sense of scale of what they were/will be like. Then on to who knows what.
Enough gabbing. On to browsing and building.
+Rich
Google Adsense
Old 11-08-2011, 08:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
You have a very interesting site there. I'm also a bit of a history buff, so I really enjoyed my visit. I would have liked to have seen the Presidential material, but oh, well. When I visited the Grand Canyon the last time I brought some old postcards I found at an antique shop and tried to mimic the shots. Got several, but I will need to do a lot more visits to be able to even get a quarter of the shots to match up.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing some more of your work.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 163.10 MB
Presidents and landscapes

It is buried in my site, but I did post a couple of issues from that Presidential Series I produced (over ten years ago now - where did the time go?!). They can be found at:

Chronograf Productions: Who

I sold it as a ten-set series, but it is no longer for sale. Funny thing is, I still read it and enjoy what I wrote. The research behind it certainly gave me a better background and perspective on politics today. Even some specific political convictions.
The paper modeling was something of an offshoot from that. I wanted to provide extra features for the readers, who were originally to be junior high homeschoolers. There is a wealth of material one could use to do historic buildings. Check out HAPS/HAER (I think it is HAER).
Concerning duplicating old photo shoots, more recently, I have been reading William Henry Jackson's "Pioneer Photographer." If you don't know him, he was a prolific photographer working in the west between 1869-1940. It is well worth looking up his photos.
One of these days I am also going to figure out how to unfold a DEM file of a mountain - maybe Longs Peak- and drape a hi-res aerial photo onto it and make a desktop model of paper of it. Know anyone who has done it?
+Rich