PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
paper model of the Titanic

does anyone know anything about the paper model of the Titanic that Barnes and Noble sells?
Google Adsense
Old 02-04-2012, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Hi TTHomas

Yes I've been coming to B&N to check it out. I've still haven't bought it, but I will.

Anyway, I opened the box; yes, it's paper. Although the life boats are made of plastic, all the other pieces are cardstock. The parts are pre-cut, so little kids can detach the pieces without the need of knives.

Also, there is a little book with history and the instructions. Also the threads for rigging the model.

Do I recommend it? That depends. If you want it, go for it. Anyway you can go for Currell's Titanic, and have a very good detailed model too (you can always have it printed enlarged).
Old 02-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by milenio3 View Post
Hi TTHomas

Yes I've been coming to B&N to check it out. I've still haven't bought it, but I will.

Anyway, I opened the box; yes, it's paper. Although the life boats are made of plastic, all the other pieces are cardstock. The parts are pre-cut, so little kids can detach the pieces without the need of knives.

Also, there is a little book with history and the instructions. Also the threads for rigging the model.

Do I recommend it? That depends. If you want it, go for it. Anyway you can go for Currell's Titanic, and have a very good detailed model too (you can always have it printed enlarged).
Yes i agree Currells Titanic is a very nice model - especially up-scaled and added extras.... remember my attempt ? See video
Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
I remember that video, Peter! Too many moons passed already, eh?

Hey, how about some new Titanic build threads, with the upcoming 100th Anniversary of the Titanic first and only voyage, as well as the upcoming re-release of the Titanic movie - in 3D this time (hey George Lucas, I can also have my old movies in 3D - J. Cameron).
Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.17 MB
I was given the B&N Titanic model by my wife as a gift. I will start on her soon once a complete a project already on the work bench. If you add aftermarket parts and some slight scratchbuilding, I think it will look pretty good. I will post photos once I get started.

Sam
SERE Instructor 89-95
Google Adsense
Old 02-14-2012, 02:48 PM

Cool video of a great Titanic build, Peter. I haven't built that one, but Currell's airships enlarge quite nicely.

I just did an Amazon search and found 2 Titanic book/models out there. One seems to be the same as B&N has (size not stated). The other, a Taschen, seems to be available, but out of print. A commenter says it's 54" long. Wow.

Wade
Old 02-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paper hollywood View Post
Cool video of a great Titanic build, Peter. I haven't built that one, but Currell's airships enlarge quite nicely.

I just did an Amazon search and found 2 Titanic book/models out there. One seems to be the same as B&N has (size not stated). The other, a Taschen, seems to be available, but out of print. A commenter says it's 54" long. Wow.

Wade
Yes i done the Tashcen one and it is big. If i was thinking do a nice one before April I would go for the Currel one and its not that i think the Tachen would take longer it doesn't it just if your paying for it you want to add a lot more details anyway If i was building it again i would lenthen the poles for the wires a good bit. they look at least two inches to short for the look of them in the photos of the ship.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:08 PM

Interesting point, Doc. When building a model it's always wise to use photos of the real thing as your final reference. I think we've all had a regret or two like that.

Wade
Old 02-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Eternal Member

Speaking of Currel this seems to be the message on it. I got a teacher call to me going you told me that site was good. Now she thinks I was trying to destroy the schools computers. ;(
Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!
Old 02-15-2012, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
The Titanic sails again

Ahoy fellas
I agree its turning in to the 100th year of her sinking, and titanic still boggles the mind. with todays technology they are always finding other clues to why she sank. The way I see it, It was wreckless seamanship and believing in something thats infaluable, Great Titanic footage Grandson Peter I love your Titanic, I will close with a couple pictures of mine I built this for a friend of mine he commisionjed me to build it for him the ship lights up I drilled out over a thousand port holes.

Keep Titainic Alive

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
paper model of the Titanic-post-2936-040765600-201327817245.jpg   paper model of the Titanic-post-2936-049371000-201327817256.jpg   paper model of the Titanic-post-2936-073226100-201327817277.jpg   paper model of the Titanic-post-2936-089080600-201327817296.jpg