PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 02-17-2012, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Beginner here with lots of questions

Hi All,

One of these days, I'd like to build a model of a baseball ballpark. Years ago I started a project with balsa wood but it was a bit too tedious and also inconvenient to find a hobby store with all of the right materials. Recently on the internet, I noticed someone built a ballpark out of card stock and thought this might be worth a try.

After browsing this site it sounds like most members are already pretty well established. I didn't get too much information on how to start out as a beginner or where to buy materials. It sounds like I can just go to Staples and buy card stock but I'm not sure what particular weight to use. One thread suggested using between 65-110 lb.

I also brainstormed about an idea to create a 3D version of a picture or sign such as my favorite magazine, for example. The image would be in the background and the name of the magazine (i.e. Time magazine) and borders might be slightly raised as if they were floating. I'm not sure if there's a name for this sort of art but I thought this might be something I could start out with.

Another potential obstacle is how would one get an image onto card stock? Would you print it onto a sticker first or print directly onto the card stock? I don't have the equipment to so print color images so I assume, I'd have to get this done at a place like Kinko's.
Google Adsense
Old 02-17-2012, 05:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I print directly onto cardstock, but I don't use the heavier card for what I build. My Brother Inkjet handles it fine. You can print onto stickers and affix to card, which would be my plan if I were to use thicker card on a project than my printer can handle.

I believe your magazine project would be considered 'decoupage'.

Are you planning on doing a fictitious park or a real one? Wrigley Field is out there on the net if you think it would work. I think papertoys has it, but google Wrigley Field Paper Craft and it will tell you.

Welcome
Old 02-17-2012, 08:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Welcome aboard wavygravy, great to have you here. h
Here is a simple Wrigley field stadium if you wanna try it Paper Toys - Paper Cut-Outs - PaperToys.com

As for paper, I buy my cardstock at walmart, it is 110 lb and works real good.
Looking forward to seeing pictures of your work.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Download a paper model of the Yokohama Stadium here:

‰•lŽs `–k‹@“ŽYƒXƒ^ƒWƒAƒ€ƒy[ƒp[ƒNƒ‰ƒtƒg

Here is another stadium from Madrid:

http://www.kaukapedia.com/index.php?...adion_Bernabeu

Last edited by Zakopious; 02-17-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Welcome to the site!

Problem with cardstock is the way they name it.

Cover that weighs 73.5lbs is Equal in weight to 110lb Index & 122.2lb Tag.

This is because of the sheet size they weigh to get the weight. Cover is a small sheet, but very thick (heavy). Tag is a bigger sheet than either Cover or Index.

Best way to determine weights? Look for GSM (Grams per Square Meter) or it could be shown as G/M2 (Grams/Meter Squared).

Not all paper companies show this on the packaging.

Because of this, decided to make some charts for my own reference. Check out my signature and click the links to see & download PDFs that try to explain this.

Mike
Google Adsense