PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 02-25-2012, 01:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi from Holland

Hi all,

I just recently discovered papermodeling and am looking forward to be able to make such beautiful models as I have seen on several calleries on this site.

As a kid I used to make all sorts of plastic and balsa wooden models (mostly airplanes of the WW-II era) but after I left home to go to college I somehow stopped. Playing guitar and kayaking took over I guess. The kayaking and canoeing stayed btw as I like to paddle longish distances (20k) in a race kayak, kinda like jogging in a kayak.

Now my kids are getting near the age I got into modeling myself I started to look around for ways to get them introduced. Enter paper models :-) The only drawback is that I like it so much that I seem to have discovered a new hobby ;-)

Currently I am working on my first paper model, a Fiddlers Green model of the Hawker Huricane MK1. I know I make a lot of mistakes but that is the only way to learn, right? The good thing about card modeling is that one can easily make another print and start over again. That is a lot harder with a plastic or wooden kit.

Although my birthday is still a few months away I have already figured what I would like to have. Earlier this week I found a few shops where I can order papermodels of the WW-II era Fokker airplanes (G-1, D-XXI, T-V etc.). If anyone know of other paper models of Dutch airplanes from the pre/early WW-II era such as Koolhoven (FK85 and FK56) and Fokker airplanes (like the D-XVII biplane) I'd be very happy to hear about them. Who knows, perhaps I'll learn to draw them myself one day.

Cheers,

Michiel
Google Adsense
Old 02-25-2012, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Welcome to the forum. As far as Dutch planes, I am not the expert, but I'm sure someone here can help you out.

My son likes the things I build, but though he's tried a couple models, it isn't something he is interested in doing. I find that odd, since my friend's son, the grandkids of another friend, and my next-door neighbors are really getting into this.

Good luck on finding your planes.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michielv View Post
Hi all,
Fokker airplanes (G-1, D-XXI, T-V etc.). If anyone know of other paper models of Dutch airplanes from the pre/early WW-II era such as Koolhoven (FK85 and FK56) and Fokker airplanes (like the D-XVII biplane) I'd be very happy to hear about them.
Hoi Michiel,

As I am a grandson of a Fokker engineer (prewar years until the Fifties), I do have some knowledge on the subject.
Really good models: Modelik, Fokker D.XXI 1:33 scale, there is a Dutch version and a Finnish version available; Scaldis/Paper Trade. a Fokker F.VIII, 1:50 scale. Both models can be purchased at Scaldis, Terneuzen link: HOME , especially the F.VIII is a good model to pick up some experience. The modelik model is also available at Modelik.pl. Both models top class printing.

There is a G.1 model, but rather tricky to build. Also a T.V is there, also not suitable to start with.

At eBay sometimes a Polish model of a G.1 is offered, construction is rather well, but you will have to scan and repaint this one, they did mix up two different versions (roundel in national colours and triangular orange markings applied on the model).

Scaldis has also three Fokker C.XIW floatplanes in the model of Hr.Ms. De Ruyter, 1:250 scale.

And of course, lots of Dr.1.'s, D.VII's and even a D.VIII are there from the World War I period.

kind regards,
Gert
Old 02-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Banned

I had to go back to ZEALOT to find this. I posted it here, but could not find it using the search function. I have placed it in the links section, (Thanks Yogi!).

This designer is Dutch, has quite a list of free models, and their quality is superb! Many in Dutch liveries!

http://gahm.deds.nl/index.htm#

There is the following craft available:
1 ) Schleicher ASK21 Sailplane
2 ) F-35 JSF Joint Strike Fighter
3 ) Focke-Wolfe FW-190
4 ) Supermarine Spifire
5 ) Fairchild 27 (This looks as good ad the Pay for one!)
6 ) Messerschmitt ME-109
7 ) Tiger Moth Bi-Plane (exceptional quality plane)
8 ) Westland Whirlwind (I did not even know a paper model of this existed)
9 ) F-86 Sabre
10) Dornier DO 24K (This model is incredible, a gem)
16) F16 Falcon
Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 PM

Almost forgotten: Elfrink bouwplaten Elfrink-bouwplaten has got a very nice S.XI trainer
Google Adsense
Old 02-25-2012, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
May I draw your attention to the four top Fokker models I published in my Paper Trade series, available on www.zeistbouwplaten.nl: Fokker 'Duif', Fokker G1, Fokker T V, Fokker S XIV and Fokker F-27 Friendship? Pictures on this site, and more on http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeist_bouwplaten.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi from Holland-coverfokkerduif.jpg   Hi from Holland-coverfokkerg1-5-.jpg   Hi from Holland-fokkers14forsite.jpg   Hi from Holland-fokkertvcover.jpg   Hi from Holland-fokker_f27_nlmcoverforsite.jpg  

Old 02-25-2012, 02:46 PM

Hi all,

thank you all so much! I already found the Scaldis models and although I do not expect to be able to build them very soon it is very nice to know they exist.

@Zathros: The models are great! There is a Fokker S-XI trainer amongst them and a Douglas 8A in Dutch Markings, although the last one does not download. I mailed the site owner about this.

It looks like the two packs of cardpaper I bought will be well spent ;-)

Cheers,

Michiel
Old 02-25-2012, 03:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to Jerry V
Welcome aboard Michiel, I hope you will enjoy your time on the forum!

Groeten,

Jerry
Previously build; R.M.S. Titanic, 1:200 scale
Currently building; S.S. Nomadic 1:250 scale
Old 02-25-2012, 09:35 PM

Hi Michiel,

Looking forward to the building reports....., might be educational for me, as I have only built airplanes in 1:250 and 1:400 scale,

Cheers,
Gert

Last edited by eskatee; 02-25-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: oops
Old 02-26-2012, 01:26 AM

Hi Gert,

Funny, I was under the impression that it would be a lot easier and popu7lar to build the bigger scale models. The plastic models I used to build were mostly 1:72 scale as it was the most common and affordable scale in my local toy store.

With cardboard models, especially the ones you print yourself, it is a lot easier to experiment with bigger scales. At the most it will cost you a few sheets of paper.

Then again, I guess building a small scale model can be a real challenge for experienced builders. What a noob I am :D

@Diederick: it looks like your shop was one I found earlier. A couple of years ago I visited a hobby/modelling "beurs" (sorry all, I can't think of the proper word in English) in Goes where I bought a Snip cardmodel. Too bad I seem to have misplaced it. The solution for those situations is to buy a new one. As soon as you get home with the newly bought model you end up opening a drawer or something and the misplaced item will be right in front of your nose
Google Adsense