PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 04-19-2012, 02:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Paper, wood and other stuff

Hello, I am new here. I am currently looking for space sciences-related paper models. Not the super patient kind of person, I like changing them. For example, I use them to make wooden toys on a smaller scale children can play with. Is anyone else out there experimenting with mixed technique? Happy to exchange experiences.
Google Adsense
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 AM

Welcome hannas!

If you are interested in science models, you should see this collection:
Earth Science 3D Paper Models and Toys
They have lots to choose from including space models. There might be something there that you will like
Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome aboard! We have several space related models in the download section. For the best coverage check our links section (tab, top right, free model sites area) for the NASA sites; Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center; and links sites from Ninfinger Productions and Nielspapermodels. The definitive Space Shuttle and ISS are at AXM space paper models (alphabetized under "W" for "welcome to AXM ...").
Yogi
Old 04-21-2012, 02:22 AM

Hi Hannas,
I have experimenting with coating paper models with the polyester resin used for glass fibre. One can build up the thickness in the same manner as with glass fibre, instead using tissue paper or cloth (nylon cloth if you realy want it tough). The resin by itself is fairly brittle but the paper/cloth toughens it well.
Alternatively, just coating the cardboard with the white wooden glue wil produce a reasonably tough model when it has dried.
Hope this is useful to you.
Clive
Old 04-21-2012, 08:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Welcome to the site!

Check out the toys-automata download for stomp rockets. Gives kids plenty of exercise and 3-y/o love to stomp, you'll have to make the rockets for them though.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 05-01-2012, 05:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.49 MB
Wonderful site! ( Earth Science with link to Cannon creative park) Many thanks. Wonderful for schools. Will let my cousin know as she has started teaching. Especially the animals. :-)
Old 05-10-2012, 02:29 AM

paper thickness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectKITT View Post
Welcome hannas!

If you are interested in science models, you should see this collection:
Earth Science 3D Paper Models and Toys
They have lots to choose from including space models. There might be something there that you will like
When finding the model you like, on what quality paper does one print?

Talking metrics, there is the choice of 160,195, 250,300 grams/square meter.

I would like opinions, please
Old 05-11-2012, 08:21 AM

Paper thickness

Hi

I use 180gsm card with a gloss covering that I order from amazon. This provides a quality finish. The card is also not fiborous and so bends well on score lines. It does not shine when printed on and looks very professional. I sell card models and the response has always been good.

100 Sheets HP Superior Glossy Photo Paper A4 180gsm in sealed plastic packaging Amazon. The cost is about £12.95 with no postage charge. That's really good. I don't think you will find anything better value. [ I'm in the UK :-) ]

White card in pack of 24 from local stationers costs £3.50 odd. Slightly fiborous. No gloss.

100 Sheets HP Superior Glossy Photo Paper A4 180gsm in: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Best,
Phillip
Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 AM

Card Thickness

PS: I find that due to the gloss coating, is is quite ridged. Really good to use. Better than the 220gsm normal card. 300gsm I find is too thick. Suppose depends on what you are doing though. 300 gsm nice for larger models though. I find that added internal bulkhead for 180gsm not needed as I had origionally thought. Flexing not a problem. Models is strong. For larger models though, (I do :35 and ok) adding this might be a good idea. Cooking by feel. :-)

Best,
Phillip
Old 05-12-2012, 12:03 AM

thickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Wingrove View Post
Hi

I use 180gsm card with a gloss covering that I order from amazon. This provides a quality finish. The card is also not fiborous and so bends well on score lines. It does not shine when printed on and looks very professional. I sell card models and the response has always been good.

100 Sheets HP Superior Glossy Photo Paper A4 180gsm in sealed plastic packaging Amazon. The cost is about £12.95 with no postage charge. That's really good. I don't think you will find anything better value. [ I'm in the UK :-) ]

White card in pack of 24 from local stationers costs £3.50 odd. Slightly fiborous. No gloss.

100 Sheets HP Superior Glossy Photo Paper A4 180gsm in: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Best,
Phillip
Thanks for your answer! In the mean time I got a trial print on 195 grams satin gloss. Which looks very promising.
The confusion started when I felt 300 grams high gloss .
Google Adsense